• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First time Carpin

Hey guys Im new so I wanna say hey....

Anways today me and a friend of mine went carp fishing for the first time at these ponds in my area that are loaded with carp. My freind caught a nice 10 pounder, then right before we left I caught a 22 pounder! It was such a good fight, I think it was a good trip for my first time targeting carp.

It seems like wherever I go for carp i cant break 10 lbs. I've caught carp out of the mississippi, the minnesota, hiawatha, nokomis, and the creek, but the biggest ive got was a little under 9. Ive caught a lot of them, just no size to em.

I fish the section below the coon rapids dam and the section below the 694 bridge. At the dam I have yet to even get one that is less than 10 pounds and the section below the 694 bridge is where I got my biggest carp(35lbs).
I was also just at the bait shop and I saw a picture of a carp someone shot with a bow at bald eagle lake that went like 82lbs, the thing was enormous!!!!
well anyway I hope this helps!
><>deadeye

Deadeye, are you serious, what bait shop? Im not saying I dont believe you, I just never thought they got that big in MN. Does anyone know what the world record is?

[This message has been edited by Dynasty (edited 06-03-2003).]

Same here lunker. I have yet to break 14. I know a lake that I consistently pull 10's out of.. and might have hooked bigger, but thus far have not been able to land one. I haven't caught anything over 8 on the Mississippi.....

I remember when that 82 pounder was arrowed. Made all the papers. The guy said it looked like a submarine going by. The picture was something... those big monsters get a bit deformed when they get that big. I arrowed one that was just over 21 pounds on the Miss. near Wabasha and that was a battle. I can't imagine what that bruiser was like to fight with archery tackle.

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Welcome Dynasty! Nice take for anyone's outing - darn nice for a first time! I've only gotten into smaller ones, 5-7 lbs., I think. I use crawlers. They seem to take it quicker than dough. Maybe the bigger ones go for dough and have learned their lesson on crawlers.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Yeah. It's too bad that fish wasn't caught on hook and line... as it WOULD have been an all tackle world record. As of current, the biggest one is only 75 and that was caught somewheres in France I think... Man... I can't believe that there would be a world record fish swimming in Bald Eagle.. makes you wonder sometimes, eh?

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I have been to buisy fishin!!!
I saw the picture at vados in spring lake park, it is one hell of a fish.
As for the bait that I use when i target carp, I usually use some uncle josh's carp bait in the sweet corn flavor and a chunk of crawler. When you fish the dam, go there when the water is low like in august and you will see an amazing sight out in the middle in the slack water, there is one enormous school of them and if you get enough weight to cast out there you have a really good chance to hook up with a monster! I also have a spot I go to that would be good for bowfishing/flyfishing if anyone would like to try, the carp have been coming up sucking down all of the cottonwood fluff that has been falling.
><>deadeye

Muskieboy,
I get all my stuff at vados, I think that you might be able to find it at fleet farm, but I know vados has the uncle josh stuff for sure.
As for the big carp reports, I have heard of carp being caught by those commercial netter guys that went like 90 lbs so there really are some big submarines out there.
><>deadeye
Imagine what would happen if you got one of those fish, all of the people that fish for them seriously all over the world would freak!

I believe that it was in either the mississippi river down by winona, or it was in one of the great lakes. Im not sure because it was a while ago but I honostly don't doubt that it was caught.
><>deadeye

Have any of your tried the Berkley carp bait. I think they make it in Strawberry and Corn flavors. I thought about picking some up, but I thought I would like some reports first.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

There are some BIG carp in Mille lacs.

I caught a 46 lber ice fishing on Mille Lacs. Yes, I had to drill an extra hole to get that pig through. One 8" hole could not handle it. Heck, 2 almost couldn't handle it. I had to reach down and slide it out with it's sides rubbing both sides of the holes.

Believe this or not, I caught it with an Angel Eye and minnow. My son thought I had a monster Muskie on when he looked down the hole.

Wow Rick. The state Record is still only 55lbs right? I'm suprised that hasn't been broken yet, with the attention Carp are starting to get up here. Fact.. that one mentioned out of Bald Eagle WOULD have been a new World record had it been caught on hook and line. Heck.. if they got a world record carp out of Minnesota, I say we screw the Walleye on Mille Lacs and put a big carp statue there instead. And then we'd actually have a LEGITIMATE claim too wink.gif.

There was a post last winter here about carp through the ice, and no one had ever heard of one caught. Well, until now anyways. Was it snagged or did it take the bait? Thats a big fish through the ice, congrats! Hope you got a pic.

A lot of people think the next State Record Carp will come out of Mille Lacs.

The one I caught was put back to grow bigger for someone else to catch.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 06-12-2003).]

It bit on the Angel Eye with a minnow.

I took a picture, unfortunately for me, it didn't turn out. I do have a witness though (the picture taker - my boy) grin.gif

Hey guys,

Just got back from Mille Lac on a bowfishing trip. VERY SLOW. I shot one and it was a pig....25 pounds. Not many people around there are willing to help you out and point out some areas to locate carp. It was fun.

DEADEYE....you said you have a spot....would ya be willing to share? Good luck guys!!!