• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No Heat Ford F150 Crew Cab, Triton Engine

Heat was very poor in my pickup.  Took it to a guy and he told me to put some stuff in the radiator.  He then reversed a hose or something.  I had great heat for about a month.  This was all last fall, so my details are poor.  Another guy came along and said the Fords of that era had a common problem of gunk building up and causing this.  I sill be taking it to a local dealer, but is there something I need to ask for so they don't assume it is something else?

How old, how many miles, does the temp gauge read normal?

If it reads normal, and has never been flushed,  try back flushing the heater core and/or the whole cooling system before spending money on diagnosis. Even if that's not the problem, if it's overdue at least you aren't wasting money.

Talked to my local Ford service department.  Explained to him all the things I could remember.  He said I could try a flush and fill and backwash (my words, not a direct quote) for about $250.00.  That might take care of it, at least temporarily.  If the heat goes away again, I'm looking at replacing the heater core to the tune of $900.00 to $1200.00.  He suggested I take it back to the guy that worked on it last year and have the first part done for a lot less money. He told me that my friend "knows what he is doing."  My guy in Pelican Rapids is going to work on it next Saturday.  The Ford servicer thinks the core might be too plugged for a simple solution, but it is the least expensive option and may work.  My friend said something about pulling a soft plug and cleaning.  I don't know what that means, but it sounds like it will be more than gravity flushing.