• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northeast Long Shot

I came through Pennsylvania to get here at least and there isn’t a Maryland forum so here goes:

I have a couple extra days later this week and a car to go wherever.  I’ve been looking for a guide or charter to get on the water but am having more trouble than expected.  The Chesapeake Bay charters for stripers run up to 6 in a group but don’t mix groups so jumping on an unfilled boat doesn’t seem to be an option. I’ve been working with one captain willing to try but no dice yet.  I could have the whole boat to myself for $600 I suppose...

So anyway, is there anyone who has a suggestion, contact, or even a boat in the Maryland area for ANY kind of fishing?  Honestly I’m pretty open but would prefer something coastal.  Have car, will travel.

I talked to a guy with a sweet jet boat at The Point of Rocks on the Potomac yesterday but he doesn’t guide.  But that could be an option too.  Might head to Niagara Falls after I’m done in Baltimore so NY state so there’s another one.

Yep, this is an official Wanderabout.

Walked the Inner Harbor a bit, ate soft shell crab and took in an Oriole’s game at Camden Yards today.  Oh, and finally booked a SHORT trip on Erie to catch on the ride home.  Better than nothing.

White water rafting tomorrow will have to do for my most significant Maryland experience.  This put a little chill on me when I noticed what it was.

03ECF4DE-4087-4BD9-BDB8-169753194EC3.thumb.jpeg.dde6286e4f01fe8f1dcd8bfbcb54268b.jpeg

It’s a nice place to visit, but... you know the  rest.

Edited by Wanderer

Work related travel.  Never been to the northeast before and wanted to experience it as much as possible so I drove and took a couple extra days.

Original plans had me touring some stuff in the DC area but its been a little more difficult and expensive to wander about than I’d hoped.

Get me to some water!!!

The whitewater rafting was decent.  Low level class 1-3 but still enjoyable.  River and Trail Outfitters at Harpers Ferry.  Now sitting in the Guide House, a local favorite established by one of the veteran rafting guides.  Having a Duck Rabbit Brewery Milk Stout and ready to dig in to a fine bowl of crab mac.

Yes. Yes I did fall out of the raft in one of the rapids.  It’s was pretty fun!

One more REPRESENT.  Too hot for the hoody. ?

0DF08AAD-9176-404C-9FEB-4763858CED08.thumb.jpeg.3cbb487144c933a416be097a6bb0416a.jpeg

The winds got up on Erie too much to make a good run to better water but we still wanted to fish.  We hung around the breakwalls and got sheepies and smallies.  No matter what we caught was going to be C&R for me so a bunch of these were fine.

And a quick shot of the falls.  That water is moving incredibly fast!

C59160C8-9B05-4D34-B1E6-2F2E44D1D083.thumb.jpeg.730500a4392008cb7ea19d49a853c492.jpeg

Almost done with the loop.  I’m coming back on the Canadian side of the Great Lakes.  There are some really beautiful areas up here.

BTW, the section of NY State from the Allegheny Mountains to Buffalo made me feel at home.  Very similar to areas of MN.  I guess that’s why people like it so much!