• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rush River

JBMasterAngler

Made my long awaited return to the Rush today! Never bought a WI license last year, so it was extra special getting back there. Was also excited to find out my waders didn’t leak ? Caught 3 brownies, lost 2, and also a little brookie. Managed to catch a bird also! I believe it was an eastern phoebe. Poor guy flew right into my husky jerk as it was airborne. Reeled him in quickly. Luckily he wasn’t hooked, just got tangled up in the lure. 

54816AA8-7CCE-44A3-BC81-14C9EE5B3C82.jpeg

60C23DCC-DA35-4DBE-BC60-617D083A0E09.jpeg

Had a couple hours, so I brought my 2 younger kids out to enjoy the nice afternoon. River is a little high yet, but still pretty cloudy. I guess it was flooded pretty good yesterday. Rain must have washed in lots of food, because every trout had a big fat belly. I caught 5, and my son caught 1 (all browns). All of them on a largemouth bass colored husky jerk, which is my new favorite trout lure. Me and the kids finished the day covered in mud, and had a great time!

754A3B96-8928-4C20-B2C1-7E8DF6515C29.jpeg

Very nice.

You need to start making Youtube fishing videos with them now like #fish_time does with his kids!  ?

You can tell their fishing with Dad and not Mom.  Did you help your daughter with her boots Dad? ?

Edited by leech~~

Haha. So, her boots kept falling off so much (several sizes too big), she eventually put them on the wrong feet. I tried telling her that, which is always a losing battle on my part. I thought maybe, that if they were on the wrong feet, they would stay on better. They did not.

This is the best time of year to take kids out trout fishing. No leaves on the trees, brush is still dead and matted down, so casting and walking are super easy.

Got out there at about 6 this morning. A little chilly, but can’t complain, considering the rain that was in the forecast for the past week never showed up. River was low and gin clear. And I found out it may be time to retire my waders ? both feet sprang a leak. Only so many times you can patch them up. Continued to fish despite wet, very cold feet. Caught 21 trout, biggest was 17 inches, 2 were brook trout. LM bass husky jerk, salmo bullhead, and black/green panther martin all produced. If any of you decide to hit up the Rush, and catch a brown trout with the aforementioned husky jerk in it’s mouth, that’s mine! Was going to be my last fish of the day. There must have been a nick in the line...time to use a florocarban leader.

Decided to try the evening bite on the Rush today. Originally planned to go in morning, but when my alarm went off at 3:30 AM, it just wasn’t meant to be. River was clear and low. Got my largemouth bass colored husky jerk in mail today, and forgot to bring it! Used crawfish husky jerk and black/gold jointed rapala. Caught 5 brownies. 3 in the 13 inch range, the other 2 were little fingerlings. Saw lots of fish zipping around, including what I thought was a giant trout, but ended up being a sucker. 

Listened to my alarm this morning and went back to the rush. This time I went to an access point farther downstream. I found out that nothing gets your heart pumping in the morning like almost stepping on a baby deer! Little guy waited until the absolute last second to pop up and run away. Grass was only about a foot high, but I would have never seen him even if I was looking for him. Action was pretty slow, only caught 4 brownies. Lost a few others. This “new” spot has some potential. Looked like some promising spots farther downstream, that I just didn’t have the motivation to explore today.