• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Build 8x16

RP14

Decided to build own house. Going to do a 8x16 single axle.

Question I have is the axle pivot setup, only steel I could find that would fit is 2"ID double X tube and 1 15/16" solid. Putting it inside the 2" has some play approx 1/16". What I want to know is how much play is allowed? I don't want to have stuck rusted pivots. The tube will be about 10-12" long.

Open to suggestions, TIA

I would go with DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel). You can find it on-line just a bit pricey unless ypu have a steel supplier nearby that can order it.

http://www.aladdinsteel.com/products/dom_seamless_tubing/?gclid=CjwKCAjwwdTbBRAIEiwAYQf_E0tV3qM59rsqxJ1i9ao2mL2_KQ8HhbIdOj_i1FHOUOd9ycq8L9tY0BoCQbIQAvD_BwE#top

1/16, .062 could produce a lot of shift depending on the lenght of your pivot arm. I like .020 max and grove the solid in a level wind criscross pattern for grease distribution. Being steel on steel grease often. During summer also and drop/raise house several times.

1 hour ago, papadarv said:

I would go with DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel). You can find it on-line just a bit pricey unless ypu have a steel supplier nearby that can order it.

http://www.aladdinsteel.com/products/dom_seamless_tubing/?gclid=CjwKCAjwwdTbBRAIEiwAYQf_E0tV3qM59rsqxJ1i9ao2mL2_KQ8HhbIdOj_i1FHOUOd9ycq8L9tY0BoCQbIQAvD_BwE#top

1/16, .062 could produce a lot of shift depending on the lenght of your pivot arm. I like .020 max and grove the solid in a level wind criscross pattern for grease distribution. Being steel on steel grease often. During summer also and drop/raise house several times.

I think the tube is DOM 1/2" thick. Was afraid 1/4" too thin and cannot find any other tube that would fit another solid rod inside. Don't want to get something I have to get machined $$$... At least with arm I can pull out and have another made if not good. Not sure how to make the grooves with hand tools?

On 11/13/2018 at 7:36 AM, RP14 said:

Decided to build own house. Going to do a 8x16 single axle.

Question I have is the axle pivot setup, only steel I could find that would fit is 2"ID double X tube and 1 15/16" solid. Putting it inside the 2" has some play approx 1/16". What I want to know is how much play is allowed? I don't want to have stuck rusted pivots. The tube will be about 10-12" long.

Open to suggestions, TIA

Here!