• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Fog

Driftless

I have always been fascinated by fog.  So much so I even took the time to look up the meteorological definition.  So here it is.  Fog consists of visible cloud water droplets or ice crystals suspended in the air at or near the earth's surface. Fog can be considered a type of low-lying cloud and is heavily influenced by nearby bodies of water, hills,valleys, (trout) and wind conditions.

GaysMillsSpring.jpg

My father laid the groundwork for my obsession with the mystical phenomenon.  He equated fog to excellent fishing.  We hurried many days to trout streams before the fog could burn off.  Some of my best trout success was when you could barely see 10 yards in front of you.  Later in life I learned trout have no eye lids and shun sunlight.  The trout felt safe to feed in low light conditions.

lucky1cfxfv.jpg

My life changed in the fall of 1967.  My father left this earth.  He went to fish in the clouds. Fog is described as low lying clouds. When you speak of heaven you always point upward.  You always hear that heaven will be your happy place.  My dad's favorite place was on a trout stream during the foggiest conditions possible with a fishing rod in his hand.

LenInWeeds.jpg

There are days now that I fish during foggy mornings.  I am always sad when the fog burns off.  It is like my dad leaving.  I know he will return again soon so I have something to look forward to.  When a father leaves a child at such an early age the kid grasps at anything to remember their father.

LenInFogfx.jpg

Childhood turns into adulthood.  Your fondest memories are not forgotten.  Many times they are reinforced through the years.  I for one can feel my dad on stream during the early mornings when the fog is hanging low.  When the heavens are at ground level.

lastdayseason.jpg

Call me an old daft fool if you want but I still feel his presence every time I fish on a foggy morning.

lenhd.jpg