• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alternator in an escape

When it went out in my 2005 Mazda Tribute (bascially same as the Escape back then) the guys at the shop just sort of shook their heads due to how bad the design was.  I don't have the smarts to fix it myself so my check book had to do the thinking for me.  I've had alternators replaced in other vehicles over the years and the one in the Tribute cost me probably 40% more due to extra labor.

In the Tribute I had I ran into a few design related issues.  The other was the brake lines were in such a spot that they would wear through easily.  I had the front right brake line go out while driving home one day with the family, that makes for an interesting drive home.  Luckily I was only 2 miles from home and I could detour through low traffic residential streets.  When I brought it into the shop the guys said they've replaced tons of them in that vehicle due to a design flaw.  The right side one was also almost worn through so both had to get done.

after you do 1 or 2 hundred they go pretty quick.

The front brake hoses are pretty common. The rear hoses are just as common if you have rear drum brakes. If you had the rear disk brakes you hardly ever see the hoses go bad.

the original hoses are smooth. The new hoses are "ribbed". If you have an older escape it would definitely be worth thoroughly inspecting the hoses to see if they are cracked.