• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rigging paddle tail swimbaits

bassfshin24

I tend to throw these a lot with swimbait jigheads but this year I am going to focus on throwing them in thicker weeds. How does everyone rig them to go through weeds. Do you guys use the weighted swimbait hooks or offset hook with small pegged bullet weight. I have seen some pros doing the bullet weight rig and I liked that option better than weighted hooks. And for swimbaits im mostly talking about skinny dippers and the 4.8" keitech fat impacts 

Don't own weighted swim bait hooks anymore. I feel the action is better on either swim jig or pinned worm weight. The pinned worm weight with an off set hook is very weedless and the Swimbait has great action... moves very freely. Since I moved down to NE Iowa and fish the Mississippi mainly... Swimbaits are a key. Always have one tied on. 

9 hours ago, Lals said:

Don't own weighted swim bait hooks anymore. I feel the action is better on either swim jig or pinned worm weight. The pinned worm weight with an off set hook is very weedless and the Swimbait has great action... moves very freely. Since I moved down to NE Iowa and fish the Mississippi mainly... Swimbaits are a key. Always have one tied on. 

Thanks that is kind of the answer I was looking for. I've never been a fan of the weighted hooks. Seems like I can never get it to run true with those. 

B24, I'm with you on the weighted Swimbait hooks. Tough to get to run straigh plus they are not as natural looking.. I also use a lot of swim jigs with paddle tails. Nice swim jigs for for me  are Dirty Jigs and  Lethal Weapon...Lethal Weapon is a lighter wire hook and Dirty Jig hook is stought. 

I agree with Lals, I like the grass pigs and skinny dippers on a swim jig the most. You can trim them up also, to adjust the size of the bait. I usually trim the grass pigs where the gills start, but sometimes they like it shorter or longer.  I even started using them on a big 3/4oz grassmaster jig for weeds in Deeper water. Got this idea from one of RK's posts!  

Might have to try the bullet weight method too.

Edited by RuddyDuck

Yeah I always use a swimbait trailer for my swimjigs. I've been using Northstar custom baits swimjig and Strike King tour grade swimjig. I know the Strike kings are kind of cheaply made but man I catch a ton of fish on their bluegill pattern swimjig. I always use a little dipper on the back. Man I can't wait for open water bassin haha. This closed bass season has got to go!! Give us catch and release all year or something. We sure miss some awesome spring time fishing on the lakes with the closed season. 

Prespawn, spawn and postspawn are a great time. We had an incredible weekend in Ottertail County on swim jigs in late May. Yum Money minnow is my favorite ... the tail really dances. After watching Major League Fishing, need to try the Strike King swimbait. Last fall a white swim jig with a white rage craw was pretty deadly as well.

I rig them multiple ways.

Depends on the bait and what I am trying to do.

With Fat Impacts and Skinny Dippers an unweighted screwlock Owner Swimbait hook with a 1/8oz to 1/4oz Tungsten bullet weight pegged is the best and most versatile option.

Hollow Belly Swimbaits work well with swimbait heads with the line tie placed on the nose. This allows for the most amount of body roll and action. If fishing cover like grass or wood a weighted screwlock swimbait hook is a better option.

With either rigging style it is absolutely critical to rig the bait straight.

I throw them most often on an Owner bullet head jig, especially early when cover isn't really thick.  Even after thew weeds do thicken up I still prefer to throw them on a jig head, I just use a bullet head weedless jig like a regular weedless jig with at least a 5/0 hook.  A dab of super glue is a great addition to keep them from sliding down on the jig head or screw lock hook if you go that route. 

I have also done fairly well rigging them on a 5/0 EWG hook weightless...swim them over really thick rice/pads and drop them into holes and hang on...

Actually, an interesting trick I learned from James Lindner eons ago it seems back when the Berkley hollow body swimbaits were just coming out was when using the weighted hook was to rig the bait with it sideways...not sure why it worked but had great action and caught many a fish doing it that way.......but yeah shhhhhhhhhh.

1 hour ago, JP Z said:

Actually, an interesting trick I learned from James Lindner eons ago it seems back when the Berkley hollow body swimbaits were just coming out was when using the weighted hook was to rig the bait with it sideways...not sure why it worked but had great action and caught many a fish doing it that way.......but yeah shhhhhhhhhh.

Gives it more lift to keep it above submerged grass.