• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3rd party warranty

Interested in getting your thoughts on 3rd party auto warranties offered by dealerships.  I just bought a 2014 Mazda CX-5 and they offered a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty for $2500.  We tend to own our vehicles a long time (the car we replaced was 10 years old) so I initially thought it was a good idea since we did have some costly expenses that would have been covered by the warranty.  However, I'm having some second thoughts if its worth keeping.  There is no deductible if we do the work at an affiliated dealership (walser) or a $100 deductible if we get work done elsewhere.  

My concerns are how easy is it for them to void the warranty or if we'll really get our value out of it.  Our 2nd car is a Mazda 3 that has 101,000 miles and has needed very little work.  We'd have eaten a good portion of the warranty up to this point.

The warranty is through CNA National.  I see some negative reviews online but thats pretty much par for the course for an insurance/warranty company.  They do seem like a big player with some industry cred though.

Anyways looking to get some thoughts from others.  Should I keep it or should I cancel it?  I've got 60 days to cancel.

I should add the car already comes with a lifetime powertrain warranty

Edited by nofishfisherman

For the first time, I bought one 2 years after I bought my new F-150. There's a big Ford dealership online that sells the Ford extended ones far cheaper than the dealer does...like $$$ cheaper.I think I got it for like $700.  Went for their best one, the bumper-to bumper everything one. Printed it out, took it to my dealer, and asked if they wanted to meet this one...as I intended to get it, since it was right from Ford. "Sure, we'll do that."  Just used it last year, when my front struts blew and my dimmer knob for headlights lost it's "stop" position. I had picked the $50 deductible, and that's what it cost. No prob at all....surprisingly. I've known most of the guys out there for years, maybe that helps a bit, I dunno. BUT, the warranty almost paid for itself already, and I have another year yet.

Personally, on a Mazda, after having a few, and working on vehicles for years, I'd forego the warranty. Mazda's just don't have that many problems. I'd pocket the cash.

Edited by RebelSS

not a big fan. you can replace a lot of parts for $2,500. What it boils down to is do you feel better knowing that just about anything that could happen will be taken care of. If you do than keep it. If your not worried about it than dont get it.

It's a fools game.   Don't do it.  You are handing that salesman a nice chunk of change and he is laughing all the way to the cocktail lounge. The odds are you will never need it and when you do they will find some little teeny-tiny print that says they can't help you.

Run the other way from those snakes.

#1, first and foremost, what they tell you verbally don't mean SQUAT. What's covered and only what's covered, is WRITTEN in the policy. You are entitled by law to get a copy of the actual policy (not just the sales slicker glossy) before you buy. If you are interested, get a copy of the formal policy statement and read it. In there should be what is covered. If it is not listed, it is NOT covered, despite what anyone might imply. As well, it will describe the claim process and what documentation is required.

If you do not do as above, I can almost guarantee disappointment and frustration sooner or later.

We are pretty set on canceling it now, just need to go in tonight to sign the paperwork. 

The cost of the warranty is $2500 but since it gets wrapped into the loan you also are paying interest on it so the real cost of the warranty is more like $2700 or $2800.  I figure that's a lot of repair work.  Even with our old Mazda Tribute which had some more costly repairs I don't think we would have done much better than break even.  We had to replace the rear main seal, repair the 4 wheel drive, and an alternator which all totaled was roughly $2100.

The car still does have the lifetime powertrain so if there is some catastrophic issue with engine or transmission it should be covered.