• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Handle type on truck topper

I am buying  a new topper for my truck. The woman said it comes standard with the single handle in the middle of the window with the metal rods that go across to each corner. I asked her about the two handles, one in each lower corner of the glass. She said the single handle design is more secure. What is everyone's thoughts or experiences. I have never tried to break into one so I don't know, but would think the two handle design is more secure.

Either one would be a piece of cake to break into so I would not let that determine which to get.  If someone wants in your topper, a topper lock will not deter them - it will only keep an honest man honest.  I have the handle on each end and I like it just fine.  Either way you go I would stay away from the push button type release as they can freeze up in the winter.  Also make sure you oil the key area on a regular basis to keep the lock from seizing up - which it will do over time from road salt etc.

Have had lots of trucks and lots of toppers. Go with the two handle system. But none of them are burglar proof so keep that in mind. And as suggested,   DO keep some good lubricant on the locks, handles and the rods. And again, as suggested, do not get any kind of push-button release. They become the Devil's playground in winter.

Have fun.

I have had both, and currently have the two handle. I like it better, even though I wanted the single when I got this topper. I can tell you from the ones I had, the single handle would be easier to "pop" open than the two handle, as the two handles each grab with a solid curved finger, as opposed to just an alum thin shaft sliding past the door opening. Maybe they are made different now, I am not sure.

Also, I use the handles to attach bungies to to hold down the window at times when I can't fully shut it, and nice to have that on both sides. I had to replace mine once and it is realy easy, though you have x2 the cost. but still cheap.

Good luck! BTW I don't care how "slick" it looks without handles on the sides, the best thing in the world is a side opening topper window! :)

Thanks for the replies. I went with the double handle which is what I have now. Yes I know about keeping the locks lubed. Dust from a dirt roads can make them turn hard also. I also ordered the side opening window on each side. This is the same set up I have on my old truck and has served me well.

I agree, side opening windows are great!!! More expense but oh so handy!!

If I had a choice I'd go with the single handle, it always seems like when I reach to open it, its the other handle thats shut. As far as overall security, one lock is just as good as two, they only keep honest people honest.