• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nikon 35mm 1.8 lens

Had lots of similar Nikons down through the years and the 1.8 is a good lens. Am assuming it is basically the same lens with whatever modern "upgrades" they want to make for it.  But you describe it as a "1.8 lens...."  but what else?

I just noticed you DID mention it was the 35mm lens with 1.8 speed.  That was (is) a great lens. I also like the 2.0 35mm lens Nikon made...it was one of my favorites.

I am not up with the stuff being offered today but my guess is that a lot of these lenses are pretty much the same as a few years back.  After all....they were some GREAT lenses.

The most important question to ask is what are you going to use it for. I have an 85/1/8 in Canon that rarely gets out of my bag anymore. I use it primarily for shooting basketball especially the dark lighted gyms so common here! The problem is the focal length, it is kind of a between type lens especially when you consider the 1.5 focal length multiplier. That means you are looking a 127mm length lens with your camera. In the old days of 35mm film the 85mm was always considered a portrait type lens. In modern cameras that 127mm length is not ideal for portrait use. The fast aperture is a plus but with most modern cameras with clean high ISO capabilities, yours included the need for really fast lenses is not as important.

My use was for dark gyms when the best I could get out a camera was 1600-3200 ISO and I needed the speed to get fast shutter speeds. Now that my cameras produce cleaner images at 8000 ISO along with great shutter speed I don't find I use that length lens much.

The lenses of today really don't compare to lenses of old. They have changed completely from mount systems, autofocus capability, glass used, coatings on the glass etc.

So the question again is how do you plan on using it?

Well...okay.  I guess my advice regarding lenses is pretty much useless then if the lenses of today are that much different. I just watched the evolution of lenses,  including the Nikon line, and witnessed the way they would morph over time, basically the same but always improving. My guess was that the 35mm 1.8 would be basically the same lens it has been for a long time.

I think best if I refrain from offering guidance on photo gear since it pretty clear time and technology have passed me by and left me a mumbling old fahrt!  Ha Ha Ha!

I started in photography back in the 70's so I know what you mean! I switched over to all digital back in the early 2000's so I've seen the transformation. Lets just say I wouldn't want to go back to the old days! But you are right the gear has completely changed! That's what has made it so accessible to so many now and the quality is considerably better with more choices from cameras to lenses and all the gear that goes with it. Its a great time to be taking photos!

Well to be honest I am a rookie photographer that just bought a pretty decent camera. So I have a lot to learn to get it out of Auto mode. Did a little reading about this camera and this lens was talked about for letting in more light etc. Probably more than I need at this point and have a lot to learn just to use it properly.

I bought the 35  1.8 last summer for my d5100. I like it. it lets in a lot of light.  fun lens to play around with. I'd love to get a 14 but sheesh!  spendy city. :)

I'm guessing it came with an 18-55 and a 55-300? Play around with the 18-55 for a while. Try the higher ISO for low light and see how you like them. I like to shoot on the P setting but fun to use the A settings. Lots to learn. Maybe start out in P where you can play with the settings a bit so you can see what it does. You will love it. 

I have that lens and it is a little plastic fantastic. That being said I mostly use it in a travel kit with my D7100. I take it with me on vacations and mostly use it in the evening and at night during low light times for dinner time portrait type snapshots, before this lens I used a tamron 17-50 2.8 non VC. I found a lot of my shots needed a little extra speed due to iso limitations on a D90 I originally used it with. The rest of the time I have a tamron 18-270 on the camera so I can capture most any shot I need. I'm sure I could switch back to the 17-50, but I'm happy with the quality of the lens and the weight of the kit so I keep traveling with it.

I've been happy with the lens, tough to beat for the price. It works great for the purpose I use it for and it has produced some great intimate shots for me. It is light and a very unobtrusive lens to carry around so people don't seem to shy away from it too much. All in all it is a great inexpensive lens and can help you learn to zoom with your feet.