• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bear Hunting for Beginners

My wife said I need just one more outdoor hobby ( I think I heard her right).  I figured bear hunting will be it.  The thing that has kept me from doing it is being in the woods that time of the year but I will put my big boy pants on and do it.  Also Gofishleech's son killed a 500 plus pounder very close to my cabin so I'm scared and want to rid the woods of beasts like that.   The area I will be hunting is woods and tamarac swamps.  I have zero clue what I'm doing but think the major things are baiting and having a plan if I kill a bear because it will be 70 plus degrees most likely.  Please fill in with your wisdom and knowledge you've learned over the years, I'd use a rifle I'm sure in case that matters.  I could bow hunt but being a newbie leads me to lean towards rifle hunting.  Also, no one baits bears in the 400 plus acres I have access to.

My wife said I need just one more outdoor hobby ( I think I heard her right).  I figured bear hunting will be it.  The thing that has kept me from doing it is being in the woods that time of the year but I will put my big boy pants on and do it.  Also Gofishleech's son killed a 500 plus pounder very close to my cabin so I'm scared and want to rid the woods of beasts like that.   The area I will be hunting is woods and tamarac swamps.  I have zero clue what I'm doing but think the major things are baiting and having a plan if I kill a bear because it will be 70 plus degrees most likely.  Please fill in with your wisdom and knowledge you've learned over the years, I'd use a rifle I'm sure in case that matters.  I could bow hunt but being a newbie leads me to lean towards rifle hunting.  Also, no one baits bears in the 400 plus acres I have access to.

Here are some tips. First I keep my hunting cloths in the kitchen so they pick up a good bacon smell which helps bring in the Bears. When baiting I like to smoke a cigar in and out so they get use to that when I'm in my stand. I also like to take a few leaks around my stand and a good dump is even better so they get use to that scent as well. Sometimes I will bang a garbage can around or even bang on a pot and pan so they know when to come to dinner. I hope some of this Bear hunting tips help. It took me years to perfect them. ;)

been hunting bear since 1975. Pretty sure I got it down.

I like that confidence, no animal stands a chance when you have something down pat.  Reminds me of Ron Burgundy a bit-"I don't know how to put this but...I'm kind of a bid deal...people know me."  We'd get along just fine I bet, many days I think I have walleye fishing down and everyone in the boat will know it by the end of the day whether they want to hear it or not :)

right boar!!!!..........even roger clemems didn't throw a no hitter every game. some years ya get one some years ya don't! and leechlake.....ya can do it all right but even boar don't get one everytime out!!!!:P:P