• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Towing a 21 foot + wheelhouse with a half ton

rustysetter

Hi everyone,  I am wondering if any of you are pulling a 21 foot tandem or bigger house with a half ton pickup and if you are what suspension enhancements you've done or would suggest. I know the towing capacities are adequate on a half ton but I had a half ton pulling a single axle 8x16 and that was about all it could handle safely. I do have a 3/4 ton but may want to consider a half ton in the future if possible because I don't need  a 3/4 ton daily driver. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Almost everyone who has towed both has told me that the 20-24' tandem axle houses tow way easier than the 8x16 single axles.  My own experience is that I had a 8x12+3' v (single axle), and my 20' tandem tows substantially better.  There is way less bucking around from wind, and especially wind currents from other vehicles.  You can tell there is more weight, but it is really stable, and the new half tons have way more than enough power to get the load moving.  

I recently upgraded to a 3/4 ton diesel, but my half ton Eco Boost was plenty truck for my fish house.  I towed for a year or two stock, but I did eventually add air bags (Firestone Ride Rite) to the rear end, which made a really nice improvement in the ride.  I probably wouldn't have added them, except the truck sagged and bounced a little bit too much for my liking when I had a 4 wheeler in the back while towing my house.  

Almost everyone who has towed both has told me that the 20-24' tandem axle houses tow way easier than the 8x16 single axles.  My own experience is that I had a 8x12+3' v (single axle), and my 20' tandem tows substantially better.  There is way less bucking around from wind, and especially wind currents from other vehicles.  You can tell there is more weight, but it is really stable, and the new half tons have way more than enough power to get the load moving.  

I recently upgraded to a 3/4 ton diesel, but my half ton Eco Boost was plenty truck for my fish house.  I towed for a year or two stock, but I did eventually add air bags (Firestone Ride Rite) to the rear end, which made a really nice improvement in the ride.  I probably wouldn't have added them, except the truck sagged and bounced a little bit too much for my liking when I had a 4 wheeler in the back while towing my house.  

Thanks LRG, that's helpful.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it, but you have to take extra weight into account. If you bring a wheeler, that's a lot of extra weight on the truck and add gear, food, beverages, etc and it adds up quickly. If it were me and I towed it regularly, I would get an add a leaf or air bags for the rear suspension. Takes the strain off and helps tow easier while accounting for the added weight. 

I tow an 8x20 tandem Ice Castle with my 2011 1/2 ton GMC Sierra. I added air bags to the rear suspension, which made a world of difference. I also use an anti sway bar that helps substantially in cross wind conditions. There are times I wish it had more power (I have the 5.3), but for the most part I am happy with how it tows and I can cruise in the 70mph range on the highway without any problems. Also keep in mind that tires play in big with towing. Most (if not all) 1/2 tons come stock with P rated tires for a softer ride and will flex more in the sidewall...LT rated tires will be much better as there will be less sidewall flex, which will keep the truck more planted when towing. 

I tow an 8x20 tandem Ice Castle with my 2011 1/2 ton GMC Sierra. I added air bags to the rear suspension, which made a world of difference. I also use an anti sway bar that helps substantially in cross wind conditions. There are times I wish it had more power (I have the 5.3), but for the most part I am happy with how it tows and I can cruise in the 70mph range on the highway without any problems. Also keep in mind that tires play in big with towing. Most (if not all) 1/2 tons come stock with P rated tires for a softer ride and will flex more in the sidewall...LT rated tires will be much better as there will be less sidewall flex, which will keep the truck more planted when towing. 

thanks for the replies, good to hear from those of you actually towing one and the things you've added.

Thanks,

Doug

If your swinging definitely get a the anti sway bar.  I put a 30+ foot trailer behind my half ton for a trip to the cabin and outside of MPG it tracked perfectly behind my truck.  It was only 1k lbs below my 8500 max cap. but even with good side winds it stayed plenty steady.  8 MPG however was a little painful.

If your swinging definitely get a the anti sway bar.  I put a 30+ foot trailer behind my half ton for a trip to the cabin and outside of MPG it tracked perfectly behind my truck.  It was only 1k lbs below my 8500 max cap. but even with good side winds it stayed plenty steady.  8 MPG however was a little painful.

Thanks for the input MLR.

22 1/2 footer that weighs in at almost 7500 lbs. Can get a little squirrely in the right wind conditions but otherwise pulls as well as my previous 2500. I went with the Timbren SES. Thinking about the airbag system next time but the Timbren route is less than a third of the price and you can install yourself.

I have a half ton F150  with the 5.0, and a 21ft Toy Hauler. I recently added SumoSprings and it helped a ton, helps with squatting and any sway.  The best part is at the end of day and I'm not pulling, it still rides like like a half ton.    Below is a link where I got mine at and they make it for quite a few different vehicles.

https://amzn.to/2K2Ps1y

#SumoSprings

#Towing

#Halftontowing

A little late to this thread but I wanted to give my input.  I have a F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and grant it I don't have a big fish house(6.5 x 12) but I do tow a 28 ft enclosed snowmobile trailer with 4 sleds and all our gear in it and it pulls it just fine.  Tandum axles trailers pull way nicer then a single axle.  My next fish house will be a 20-21ft tandum axle setup.