• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Concrete opinion

Susieq

So, we had concrete poured in our driveway. We aren't real satisfied with the final outcome.

As the pictures show there is a 'birdbath' when water does not drain.  All the water drains onto the gravel driveway, washing it out.

It had rained a couple days after it was poured. But it was cured.

The cuts are crumbling. These pictures are taken only a few days after the job was completed. It was cured and had NOT been driven on.

There were leaves stuck in it. (I understand mother nature is unpredictable but don't think leaves can press themselves into concrete)

There are grooves and ridges in the concrete.

The company finally returned our calls after 12 days and said that they thought it was acceptable.

I am looking for your opinions if this is indeed acceptable or if we are over reacting. Also any advice what to do next.

This job was about $19,000.slab was 60' X 45'

Thanks for the help!!

Below-Birdbath

20151008_071609.thumb.jpg.4aa924ef956c47

Deep grooming broom marks

20151015_170735.thumb.jpg.78186f08803cf3

crumbling and indents near cuts

20151015_170831.thumb.jpg.334547e05f588520151015_170838.thumb.jpg.af8f3f62ea6f9920151015_171222.thumb.jpg.fde7d2ee9cf0b920151015_171227.thumb.jpg.5e506093feecfb20151015_171242.thumb.jpg.d58982d19f9696

Leaf prints

20151015_171640.thumb.jpg.d10f82cb480d6620151015_171700.thumb.jpg.07bf6e40fd6e77

Deep grooves and ridges

20151015_172249.thumb.jpg.148969405392db

20151015_171831.thumb.jpg.916c29906b420620151020_183143.thumb.jpg.9c9b56a97bd56b20151015_171812.thumb.jpg.b381e225b0bc22

20151015_171727.jpg

20151015_171251.jpg

Having done some concrete it looks like it was poured wet and worked to early on some spots. It is tough to tell by pictures on some of the things but the concrete cut next to the crack looks like a split pour with out an edging then a bad cut trying to follow the seam. ( seam looks straight but the cut was bad). some of the other marks are bull float marks because it was still to wet and trying to rush things or to wide of a poor for the tools at hand. The heavy brooming marks are trying to hide a bad float job or just rushing the job on to wet of concrete. 45 x 60 is a big slab and would need to be done in multiple pours. The leaves in the concrete happen this time of year but the depth of the indent shows they poured it very wet and it got pushed into the concrete. As far as price payed to what you got there are many things to look at. I can agree that there are a lot of blemishes in the concrete that reminds me of a lot of weekender jobs with not the trained people to get the job done well. If your concrete person is good some of the leaf marks and blemishes can be fixed (aka hidden) with the fresh green concrete because the filler will adhere well. Just my thoughts on this at this time but pictures rarely do things justice good or bad.

Just out of my own curiosity, how many leaves in the 2700 square feet?  I was just thinking about how the contractor could have dealt with leaves blowing around.  Can't wade out into the middle of the slab to pick them up.  Can't not float the surface just because it has a few leaves. 

What does a contractor do when there are leaves blowing around?  

As a retired architect I have seen a lot of concrete slabs poured over the years. I have to say that my first impression would be to reject the slab. Birdbaths happen, but there are a lot of problems, as you have pointed out. At the very least, I would be negotiating a fairly significant price reduction, maybe paying just for materials. The problem is that you don't know how this slab will hold up long term.

I happen to have a "little" bit of experience in the concrete world.  I am wondering if this slab was too large for their experience. According to the size you mentioned I am guessing this was approximately 34 yards, assuming it was a 4" slab.  I can tell they poured the concrete at multiple slumps, the amount of "wetness" to the concrete.  They poured this too wet, but they were also losing the slab.  Cracks happen, hence they put joints in the slab.  I will say; if the concrete cracks near the joint, they were properly placed.  They are, however, crooked and they were probably done at the wrong time during the "set up" process of the concrete which would cause the rocks to crumble off. The joints do not look (hard to tell from here) like they are deep enough. Although, I am MN DOT certified not North Dakota, so I do not know the standard depth of joints in your state.

There are so many factors that affect concrete quality; the time of year of the pour, the humidity or dryness of the air, wind, the sub-grade before the pour is even done, the material used, even down to the finishing tools.  THEY even have specific uses (depending on exterior or interior concrete. Exterior has entrained air that has to be protected during finishing.)

My advice to you would be to contact the concrete PRODUCER, not your contractor.  They are the ones that made the material, and believe me they don't want this slab to represent them.  The producer has many sources as well; admixture representatives, cement representatives and fly ash representatives.  None of which want a finished product to look like this.  If you still have the "ticket" from the truck driver I would save that as well.  There is mix design information on it that you might want to use.

Personally, I would NOT accept this slab.  IN MY OPINION, and I see concrete every day.  If you would like any additional help, please let me know.  $19,000 is a ton of money for what you have here, which is (in my opinion) not professionally done.

PLEASE do not take any of this advice or information as any form of professional advice. 

The leaves are deep but that is the least of the problems. If it was just the leaves we would live with it. They did pour it in 2 sections in 2 days. (the picture where it is cracked and the cut is crooked.)

The construction company finally started the job a week and a half AFTER they said they were going to but didn't call us to let us know. Then when they started to set the forms we noticed that it was not at grade. They came out on the  Sunday before they were going to pour so my husband could show them some concerns. (better to show then then try to explain over the phone.)  We noticed they didn't dig out the grass where they were going to pour, (pictured below) and the forms were way above grade which would require a lot of fill. 20151003_175256.thumb.jpg.a508f74c91625c

Sad my husband had to take off work to supervise their work.

We know they were rushing to get the job done because they told us they were falling behind with other jobs. My husband told them that if they were going to rush and not do it right don't bother doing it. They said they would get it done right. This is what we got.

20151015_171342.thumb.jpg.140bad884a569120151015_170850.thumb.jpg.afe5702d030ffc20151020_183153.thumb.jpg.e8a1a40c8b1e41

20151015_171410.jpg

20151007_190549.jpg

20151015_170857.jpg

20151015_170954.thumb.jpg.c005559c7da565

WOW, they didn't even dig out the grass?! Is there black dirt under that grass? There is no way I would accept that slab. Like Fisherchick said, I would get an "expert" to look at the slab and the pictures, especially the one with the gravel base going over the grass. 

I am going through something similar. PM me for details on how I handled it. This is absolutely unacceptable from what I see in the pix and you have the right to make them make good on it. Be prepared for a long process and don't give them another dime.