• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jig rod advice needed

Juan Grande

I snapped one of my bait casting rods this past weekend while flipping a fish into the boat.  Looking to replace it with a new rod specifically for jig fishing with 12-14 lb fluoro.  I would use this rod primarily for fishing jigs on weedlines, around rocks or pitching to docks or other structure.  Not looking to punch or fish heavy cover with it. 

My budget is $100-150 and I'm wondering if you guys could give me some input on your ideal rod for this type of fishing?  Specifically, do you prefer a Med or MH action and a fast or x-fast tip?  I would like the rod to be as light as possible as well.  

They have the St. Croix Rage casting rod on sale at the big C for $90, regularly $149-169. Anyone used these before?

Thanks in advance.

John

Hiya - 

Personally, I use a 7' Heavy x-fast. But, I'm fishing a lot of clear water and deep weedlines (13-18') rarely use jigs lighter than 1/2 oz, and often use 5/8 oz, and I pop them pretty hard and snap them through deep cabbage and coontail. So the jigs I toss are on the heavy side, and I'm usually using 16# fluoro rather than 12. Plus I make long casts so the Hvy power helps on long range hooksets. Most guys would say a MH is in the power range for 3/8 to 1/2 oz jigs. I definitely like an x-fast either way though.

I'm a big Powell guy, so I'm most familiar with them, but most rod manufacturers make this kind of rod. A Powell Inferno 7' MH X-fast is $129. Shimano makes several options in their various models. Shouldn't be hard to find one.

I use a 7' Heavy Fast 13 Fishing Omen Black. Absolutely love the rod. Feels more like a MH but has a ton of backbone. I've wrestled some 4-5lbs fish out of heavy timber and docks with this rod. 13 Fishing just came out with the Omen Black 2 and can only imagine that they improved on the rod. I haven't heard very many bad things said about this rod and with the new ones coming out I am guessing they fixed any of the issues they had with the previous model. The only thing I heard bad about them was that the handle was too short...looks like the new ones they made a full cork grip which is great. I will be purchasing two of the new ones come the TW Labor day sale. If I was you I would go check out an regular Omen at a Gander mountain and see what ya think and if you like it pull the trigger on the newer one. Especially for the price range of $100-$120 I don't think it can be beat. 

13 Fishing Omen Black Casting Rod 7'3" Med Hvy

I use 15 lb flouro and love this $120 rod.  I use it for medium to deep weeds and will be purchasing another very soon.  You mentioned using it for docks.  I think the tip on this rod is a little too stiff to skip docks.  Pitching & flipping yes, skipping no.

Shouldn't be long before they get them in stock. Joes Sporting Goods in Roseville just got the new ones in. They have the 7'1 MH and 7'3 MH. I am actually looking at purchasing 2 new ones and was hoping they would have another heavy action. 

One other rod you might want to consider is the Duckett Ghost Series for $99 in a heavy action.  If you don't mind micro guides, these rods are light and sensitive.  I think they feel just like my NRX but cost a fraction of the price.  

Dick's has GL2s on sale right now for $110 (retail around $210).  Stay away from this good deal; these rods are heavy and fat and should have a price point of $60.  

So, if you like micro guides, get the Duckett.  If you don't, get the Omen.