• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Truck camping and fishing

gvg_uwec

Hi Guys,

How many of you do fishing trips with a truck camper? I just picked one up this year and we are planning on lots of fishing further away from home since we can quick load up and go away for a few days. Do most of you use campgrounds or do you just find a Walmart or some type of parking lot to park in nearby the lake? We plan on using campgrounds for the most part.

Also, how hard is it on your trucks to launch your boat with the extra weight of the camper on the truck? I plan on dropping it at a campground first but if we just slept at a rest area or walmart or something like that I wouldnt be able to drop it.

-Garrett

I don't have a camper but I have to say I'd have a hard time imagining a boat ramp scenario that's harder on a truck than pulling the same camper/trailer combo down a freeway, against the wind, up a hill, at 60+ mph. At the boat ramp you're in a low gear doing what, 3 mph for a couple hundred feed of incline? How would that be hard on the truck? I mean, sure I guess it's harder for the truck than your typical trip up a driveway with nothing attached to it, but what I'm getting at is if the truck can't handle a boat ramp, how are you going to get TO and FROM the boat ramp?

I think you will be fine on concrete ramps and a a solid gravel ramp. Anything soft might be an issue with the added weight.

From a power standpoint I don't think it will be any issue at all.

Good point on the ramp style. I almost always launch on concrete ramps and hadn't thought about mud or sand issues. Stay out of the mud and you're golden.

Other than the lack of scenery, Walmart camping does sound convenient. They have everything! smile

I've been using a truck camper and hauling a boat for 30 years. I've been all over northern MN, Northwestern Canada and have taken a few trip down south to MO, IL, KY TN an FL. Been west to ND and SD. I don't have any problem with ramps. I do have front hitch I use for the ramps with tight clearances. I usually stay at a campground. The WalMart experience doesn't appeal to me for a fishing trip. I also know lots of remote spots in Canada where we stay near the lake.

There is a lot of convenience having a place to stow your gear and easily cook a meal if the weather is cold or inclement. IMO truck campers are for two people. I also have a 10 by 12 tent with a very comfortable cot and mattress that by fishing buddy uses. That way we both have our own spaces and don't have to set up for sleeping.

It a great way to go.

Thanks for the reassurance. I was mainly concerned with the park to drive transition before pulling out after reloading the boat. Sounds like I should be fine.

I will be camping with my wife and 7 month old this summer and we are really looking forward to it!

-GVG