• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoy of the Month April 2015

The return of the Decoy of the Month Thread!!!!!

For those who didn't follow along last season, each month during the "off season" I will put up a decoy challenge to the carvers and painters who are on the site. The point is to keep us all in contact during the soft water months. Also for people who are just starting out in decoy carving to feel like they can show us what they are doing and give them a place to ask questions or get feed back. And if you follow along you add to your collection between now and next December.

The Decoy of the Month for April is:

A Crappie, 3 1/2 - 4" in length. Your choice white, black, or other, but it should be a crappie.

As always participation is encouraged and feel free to show as little or as much progress as you like.

Have fun and good luck!!!

As any project you must start somewhere. For me that means a picture and a pattern...

0B10F118-A7AA-4DBE-81F1-F8DE05A81A3F.jpg

C04082A9-6079-4536-8C89-D1851A8BAAEC.jpg

So from the picture I made a pattern that would make a 6" crappie. But this challenge is to make one that fits in the 3 1/2 - 4" box. So it will need to be resized...

9EDCB5F7-BA68-47C3-B210-24D1C911A6B6.jpg

So the cedar board selected and the patterns laid out. I am going to cut a few of them a couple of the 6" size as well as a few of the smaller 3.5" Anything that doesn't get used now will get tossed in the box for use and completion later

29D954B9-2C92-40D1-8012-E84230007ACA.jpg

I will even try to make some with the wooden tail, just cause I know dorkfish will say I need to wink The plan for this one is to use a metal tail though.

stay tuned for future updates.

Well NG I started mine but this headache right now is killing me so workshop today is out of the question but I have made a decent start to it

full-38926-54574-image.jpg

full-38926-54575-image.jpg

Thinking of either making two fat ones or 4 skinnier ones and than playing with the colors from there

And I do believe it was at about 3.75" by the time it was cut out

Glad to see this topic back! Please share pics of the process if you can, it's very informative and I enjoy seeing how the whole process is done. Looking forward to more posts!

D5F8CC56-F6C2-4C67-917C-4A28A996CB8A.jpg

carved, I just need to cut the eye sockets

Then its time to mark for fin locations and decide on fin materials. I'm not sure if I want to do one with painted fins and one with special metal (brass or copper) or how I should do it...

So after some sanding to get the rough shape out

full-38926-54803-image.jpg

And than some detail to give it more of a face

full-38926-54804-image.jpg

full-38926-54805-image.jpg

Than later will give it some eyes and round out the mouth with some small files. Than add some gill plates and sand it down smooth and clean up some lines here and there. Along with fixing the tail so it's rounded more. Than maybe add some scales depending on what color I decide on

Sham nailed it, biggest difference is personal preference.

Wood tails are more difficult to balance especially if the wood tail is larger. They are also not tunable. Most of my decoys that sport wood tails turn to tight for my preferences. Other people like how they swim. I still struggle to get it the way I want it.

Metal fins are tunable. If you want to swim tighter, put more turn in it. If you want it to swim out and back, you can straighten it out.

I prefer metal... That's just me... i do make a few with wood tails, but most of those have ended up in my collection as shelf sitters or in the fire box cause they don't swim good enough to sign my name to it and sell it, trade it, or sneak it into someone else's decoy box.

Metal fins are more my style and I'm ok with that.

Wood tails hold paint better because they don't get bent like the metal tails do. After you bend the tail so many times the paint will slowly start to crack and come off. Not downing the metal tails just something to watch for when you buy one make sure to bend it the way you want it and than leave it there

82581C0B-0807-4B09-8B26-D7260E390682.jpg

Trailing a little bit behind on this project. Goose has been tied up with gun training and I've been looking hard for a new house. So time has been limited. Still have a week to get finished up, so I am confident.

Fins are glued up and since this picture was taken I have removed the tape from the fins and put a couple coats of sealer on it. On to lead then into the paint shop.

The completed 3.5 - 4" crappies that I did for the decoy of the month this month.

48FA508D-FE86-4B26-914C-913AD54BC0DE.jpg

I tried to do a very light coat of metallic color over the black on the back, but it came out a lot more pronounced than I anticipated. Nothing like waiting to the end of the month!!! grinwinkgrin