• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What motor to buy

Cheers

I have a 50hp 4 stroke Yamaha 2007 20 inch shaft tiller that I want to up grade to 70 hp .

First question is what is the value of it for trade in ?

Second question should I go with Yamaha or Suzuki ? The Suzuki is $1300 less

I have a 50hp 4 stroke Yamaha 2007 20 inch shaft tiller that I want to up grade to 70 hp .

First question is what is the value of it for trade in ?

Second question should I go with Yamaha or Suzuki ? The Suzuki is $1300 less

Suzukis are great motors. I have two friends with 70 Suzukis on their pontoons and they have had great results. Very quiet and reliable.

One thing to think about is the dealer. How convenient is the dealer to you? BTW Suzuki typically has a 6 year warranty promotion this time of year.

I second the Suzuki. Yamaha makes great motors as well so either choice would be a good one, but $1300 is a lot of difference in price so its a no brainer to me.

Service locations are harder to come by for Suzuki, but due to the fact they have a timing chain (vs Timing belt on Yamaha) there is really nothing to service on these things. Oil, Filter, replace lower unit lube and go.

I second the Suzuki. Yamaha makes great motors as well so either choice would be a good one, but $1300 is a lot of difference in price so its a no brainer to me.

Service locations are harder to come by for Suzuki, but due to the fact they have a timing chain (vs Timing belt on Yamaha) there is really nothing to service on these things. Oil, Filter, replace lower unit lube and go.

Agreed! I wouldn't hesitate on either motor but since the one is $1300 cheaper, without a doubt I'd go for that brand. I personally wouldn't care too much where the service station was. "most" times these motors are gonna be fine right out the door for many many years past their waraanty period and most areas of the state will have someone/some shop that'll work on every motor. When I first bought my boat, I was one of the very few unlucky people that had to get somehting tweaked on the motor. It was only one trip and never had a problem since. It was 30 minutes one way out of my way...but I saved thousands on the deal.