• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jon boat blind plans

Just a bit of advice after trying several DIY blinds for various boats. And also to say that we now have a Cabelas Northern Flight blind on our boat that works great.

Using thinner or weaker or lighter material will get you a weak blind. Know that from experience Tried conduit tried PVC, tried woo. None held up too great. Also tried panels out of 1/4" pvc and it actually worked decent, but you had to stack them up and that was a hassle and took up space when moving.

If you plan to keep it up (i.e. not collapsible) then maybe some reinforced conduit might work. But plan to make it EASY to remove or collapse if it won't be dedicated blind on all year.

Also plan the height and location based upon seating position. I know that sounds obvious, but really plan were the guns will rest, where the seat swivels, where you knees will be, etc. Also plan for being able to pick up decoys. For that you really need either a door or a collapsible method.

One other thing that we added to our Northern Flight blind is a post that supports the crossbar, as it gets pretty heavy with some blind material, not to mention the weight of your buddies when they lean on the bar, even after being told not too smile Trust me, they and you will do it, and that is why you need some beefier material than you think at first.

If you put all the material you will need, and then the for-sure rebuild after you realize you need it beefier and made a bit different wink ... you might want to price out the Northern Flight (or similar) blind frame and bit the bullet. You will still be able to customize it a bit (i.e. we dilled more holes for different angles of the sides, had to cut to get to fit the curve of the boat right, etc.).

Also depends on how much you will hunt out of it, and if you are picking up long lines, or just using it to get to spot then wadiing, etc.

But the Northern Flight frame really is pretty good, especially if you can get it on sale or with coupons, etc. It really works great for how we hunt out of our 16' boat.

Good luck, they are fun projects. We could have had two good blinds if you put all the money we spent on DIY stuff over the years, haha! But thats how you learn what you want and need.

What size boat?

The bigger the boat, the more options. I wouldn't add much of a blind to a narrow jonboat as blinds add weight, raise the center of gravity, and catch the wind like a sail, all causing a boat to be less stable. Small boats don't have a lot of wiggle room in that regard.

For a canoe or narrow jonboat, I would suggest staking it out on two opposite corners, then using unattached stakes of some kind just to string some burlap across.

If the boat can handle it, a scissor blind is sweet. google it up and you'll get plenty of ideas.

Posting pictures here is a pain, so I will explain what I did the best I can. I ran two EMT pipes across the front and back of my boat. Keep in mind the pipe that runs along the back to give it room to be able to steer the boat. I measured 4 pipes that attach to the front and back pipe (2 for each) for the height of the blind connected by a bolt and butterfly nut( more on that later). I measured them sitting because I wanted not to have to stand to shoot. Measured the distance between for the cross pipe and connected with the EMT 90 degree angle tension fitting. I also curved a piece of EMT around the gunnel of the boat and attached with EMT support brackets. I then cut 3 support bars with the clips that come from CLAM ice shack bars put on both ends to attach to the cross bar and gunnel bar. This supports the blind even when people lean on it (learned the hard way). The blind part that is in the back I put in one support bar because I want to be able to drop that down to out of the boat quickly if needed. Zip tied the grass to the bars and works great. 2 things-when trailering the boat to camp, I take off the blind and put in the boat. When driving the boat I loosen up the butterfly nut and drop the blind along the side and away I go. It is easier to throw decoys and navigate. When ready to hunt, simply lift up the blind and tighten the nut and put in support poles. I bought some holders to keep the poles attached to the seats of the boat to keep them out of the way. Let me know if you have any more questions. I am into the blind for about $25 including the self etching primer spray paint I used to paint the poles. ( but not including the grass!)

I've built 2 home made blind and bought 2 custom blind for 2 different boat. I'll tell you its a night and day difference between bought and made. Don't get me wrong homemade blinds save a little money and take up some off season time but the just don't hold up like the blinds on the market. I know this custom shop is a long ways from you but I have had 2 made from him and will go back again if I find another boat. Sky busters are great blinds!

full-24389-55170-img_20131104_132359_186

full-24389-55172-img_20141006_164705_025