• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Some questions about hunting the Bear

I have mulling over a hunting trip this fall and I think I have settled on it being a bear hunt. I have no experience and would not be able to run up and bait so I would have to hire an outfitter. Option #1 is doing this in MN. If I do not get drawn in MN I will probably be heading to Montana to do a spot and stalk hunt with a bow, but that is talking some serious coin. So, seeing I know very little about Bear hunting and there are much more knowledgeable people on here I figured I would ask some questions on here.

1. What are some good outfitters? I would prefer to have at least 2 good options in the same zone in case one is booked.

2. Do I even have a chance of drawing a tag with 0 preference points? Also, I was wondering if I can look up past draw statistics on the DNR site? I have looked but have not been able to find anything.

3. Anything you veteran bear hunters would ask an outfitter were you to use one?

4. Any general info a newbie should know about bear hunting?

Thanks for any responses. As I have said, I have no experience with this so it really is appreciated.

Draw stats are on page 10 of the link below. It looks like in 2013 the only place that 1st timers got drawn was area 22 which I think is in the BWCA, and a few in permit area 13 which is part of Koochiching county. Quite a few other stats in there as well.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/hunting/bear/2013_bearharvest.pdf

Draw stats are on page 10 of the link below. It looks like in 2013 the only place that 1st timers got drawn was area 22 which I think is in the BWCA, and a few in permit area 13 which is part of Koochiching county. Quite a few other stats in there as well.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation/hunting/bear/2013_bearharvest.pdf

Crud. I figured I would have little chance but I did not think that low of a chance. Thanks for the link though, a lot of good info in there.

There is alway a chance with one point and also getting a surplus tag to. An outfitternin minnesota give jonny petrewske a call and talk to him. Verry affordable in my opinion. I ran 7 sites last year with freinds. And had an awso.e baiti g year. 10-15 bear between them in no qoua. Also reasherch no quata guides in mn. Wish i had a guide lisence sometimes.

Depending were you want to hunt, the chances are pretty slim of getting drawn in the first couple of years. The zone that we hunt in is only about ten miles from the no quota area, and we have been running baits in no quota for roughly 10-12 years. With the decline in permits, we are seeing a lot more people baiting in the no quota area, so much so that I wouldn't even waste my money on a tag. That being said, its public land and everyone has a right to it, so it is what it is!! Just be aware that once you try bear hunting there's a good chance you'll have to see an addiction councilor!! it is one of my favorite times of the year!!

I have never hunted with an outfitter, so I don't have any suggestions on that.

Wow, a lot of responses with a lot of great information. Thanks for that.

For some reason I have it in my head that the NO quota area has a lot less bears than the permit areas. I need to get it in my head that it is just a geopolitical boundary and the bear have no idea it is there.

Does anyone know of any good outfitters in the No Quota area?

I was doing some more looking into Canada, and it turns out you also can kill wolf with your bear tag. That certainly makes it more interesting but heading to Canada adds some cost.

Wow, a lot of responses with a lot of great information. Thanks for that.

For some reason I have it in my head that the NO quota area has a lot less bears than the permit areas. I need to get it in my head that it is just a geopolitical boundary and the bear have no idea it is there.

I was doing some more looking into Canada, and it turns out you also can kill wolf with your bear tag. That certainly makes it more interesting but heading to Canada adds some cost.

And you need a clean record, which I am sure you have.

Years ago we usually did better in the no quota zone. That has changed as lot more people are bear hunting, and the decline in lotto permits. There is one outfitter near where we hunt that runs some baits in the no quota area, but i cant think of his name. I'll find out and let you know.

Again, thanks for the help guys.

Blooming Valley Outfitters is one that caught my attention. Looks like a good Operation.

I went through the entire list of bear guides on the DNR HSOforum. Narrowed it down to the ones that work in the No Quota zone and will do some researching from there. The big decision I have to make is Canada or MN.