• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Boat Advice

B-man715

Well with the recent addition of twin boys (in December) my wife was half joking with me that we are going to need a bigger boat with a windshield.

I figured this would be a few years down the road, but I kinda took the joke and ran with it.....and have since talked her into it smile

The only condition being we sell the old one.

Well, 36 hours on the kregslist and my Warrior tiller was gone!

Now I'm torn as what to get. I've gotten some great advice from friends and from other sites, but wanted to get a few more opinions from all of you guys here.

The "must" list:

1) full windshield

2) fiberglass

3) 18' in length, but possibly a 19'

4) jump seats in the back

5) four stroke motor (150 min hp, preferably a Yammie), but maybe, just maybe a two stroke E-tec...

6) remote four stroke kicker (or money left over to add one, about 4k to do so)

7) Cover, radio, 3-4 pedestal seats

8) I kept my electronics, so whatever is rigged on the boat doesn't play a big role

As for model years, obviously the newer the better, but I am possibly open to something as old as an 05-06 if it is in excellent condition, all the way to new leftover 2014's.

As for budget, I would like to keep it around 30k, but have set $37,500 as my absolute max (including the kicker, tax etc). I've already upped my budget three times and have to draw a fricken line somewhere lol!

So far on my radar are:

Skeeter wx1850, wx 1880, wx 1900 etc

Ranger Reata 1850

Lund Tyee GL 186

Triton Allure 186

Yarcraft 186

Stratos 386 or 326?

I absolutely loved my Warrior, but the new rig HAS to have jump seats, so they are out...... frown

Please throw any thoughts or experiences in with any of these boats or any others that you think I should look at.

Right now the Lund and Skeeter are the two I am most interested in. I also like the Yarcraft.

I loved the Triton Allure at the boat show, but used ones are not out there. A new one about max's out my budget and leaves me without a kicker.

I am also a little leary of resale with them 5 or more years down the road?

The Stratos 386 is 35K with a 150. Cabelas has them. And that boat is much improved this year after a redesign. You get a lot of boat for the price.

I like the Tyee 186 GL too but they are hard to find on the used market and when you do find them, they are not that much less than buying new.

Another option (although they are hard to find too) is the Starcraft STX 186 Viper. You should be able to pick that up used for pretty cheap if you can find one.

Take a look at that Stratos. You will get a new boat with full warranty for not much more than you would pay for used.

Thanks for the input fellas. That Stratos is definitely a nice rig wink

But......

I pulled the trigger on a 2012 Lund 186 Gl Tyee. It fit all of the criteria and left me some wiggle room to add downriggers and mounts along with a few other accessories.

This baby is loaded, and has just about everything! (175 Verado [87 hours], 9.9 Pro Kicker, trollmaster kicker control, bimini top, travel cover, bow cushions, ski pole, smart craft gauges, I-pilot Terrova, HDS Lowrance, Elite 7 Lowrance, 8 ram rod holders, jump seats, swing tongue, oil bath hubs, etc etc)

This boat new is north of $50,000 with tax and way out my my budget.... But I paid a fair price for it and look forward to many great days on the water with it.

I'll get a few pics up when we pick her up wink

You bet Sir smile

Thanks for the advice on downriggers, I've been doing a lot of research and the Cannons you recommended appear to be the winner.

I hope to get "The Mistress II" all dialed in and rigged up in time to chase some spring cohos with you. Man I can't wait, it's like every Christmas of my life all at one time smile

If you can wait another 4 to 6 months, I will be selling my Ranger 620DVS Fisherman, its an '05, and it would leave you about $10K of your budget left in your pocket. I am working towards obtaining financing and ordering a 621.