• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Smoke Detector?

esox49

Its time to replace all my battery operated smoke detectors since its been around 10 years! So which are the best battery ones out there now days? Any of you contractors out there recommend one or another? Let me know. Thanks!

Here in Phoenix we have to use the kidde sealed battery and hardwire when replacing old detectors. Our city counsel passed this law last year. I checked on what MN requires and found the following, along with the reference HSOforum.

2007 Minnesota State Fire Code

MSFC (07) Section 907.2.10 requires all dwelling units to have hardwired, interconnected smoke alarms with battery backup. These alarms must be installed in all sleeping rooms, outside of each sleeping area and on each level of the home.

MSFC (07) Section 907.3.6 does allow code compliant smoke alarms installed prior to July 9, 2007 to remain as long as they are properly maintained. It also states that homes built prior to August 1, 1989 may install battery alarms only.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/sfm/public-...replacement.pdf

Isn't it now code to have hard wired smoke detectors?

Yes, but more than likely he is grandfathered in to the old laws. You are only required to update to hardwired if you are renovating.

Sorry, can't help with the smoke detector, but in my opinion you probably can't go wrong with any of the big brands like Kidde and First Alert.

Here is a Consumer Reports article on which is best for you.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/co-and-smoke-alarms/buying-guide.htm