• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cross lake , cuyuna, crosby trails ???

icecold

Hi, can anyone tell me what these trails are like when they have snow on them LOL . planning a trip with family towards end of febuary and was thinking about going to this area, are the trails hilly, flat, lots of woods, etc, alot of pitstops? any info would be great, Think SNOW

Hi, can anyone tell me what these trails are like when they have snow on them LOL . planning a trip with family towards end of febuary and was thinking about going to this area, are the trails hilly, flat, lots of woods, etc, alot of pitstops? any info would be great, Think SNOW

Crosslake and Crosby/cuyuna area are two completely different systems. Crosslake trails are really nice, criss cross the WFC and around some county/State land but 98% is flat land with woods and some feilds. Crosby area is more woods with little more elevation but I don't have that much knowledge and don't think there's really that much to ride in the Cuyuna area. Crosslake will get pounded by sledders and if you want nice trails that don't turn into washboards look just south towards Brainerd, Crow Wing Airport trails, southeast and then south towards St.Mathias, Fort, Crow Wing State Park and over to Harding. I live close to the bypass and have some of the best trails with 1/3 of the traffic. SSShhhhhh don't tell anyone wink

MR

Ha, I beat BoxMN to the question grin BoxMN will be the go to person for the Crosslake area for sure but his sentiments will be like mine regarding trail traffic.

MR

I could have thrown in a few tidbits but I knew BoxMN and you were the guys up that-a-way! wink

Ha! Was out snowblowing the little pittance we did get, and building a rack for my atv to hold Otter cases smile. But I am still a sled rookie for much of this area to the west.

I don't get much past Cuyuna, but do hit the Wood Tick now and then and haven't gotten right into Crosby as the Bridge Tavern is usually where we turn aroudn with the kids. I also don't head west from Crosslake that much due to the traffic over there, and my wife hates the ditch riding (but still trails) you need to do to get just about anywhere over there. Tons of pitstops here though, you can't go more than a few miles without having an option wink Definitely lots of lakes to run on over here.

But Crosslake to the east and north is where I usually go, and is mostly woods riding with minor hills, nothing really that big. The hills and dips and more wide open running starts east of Emily a ways. I love it there. Trails seem better groomed, less traffic, as you go NE from Crosslake. I haven't gone to Remer yet but that is on my list if we ever get snow. Got to Hill City and it was nice, but that is beyond my normal ride by myself, and wifey doesn't like going that far.

Not much for pitstops out this way, other than a few picnic tables and Emily and Outing, and not many places to get gas, so gas up in Emily for sure. The cool thing is I think you can go for about 30 (40, 50?) miles or more and only cross maybe one or two roads, it's all woods with some swamps. I haven't been down into Aitkin, but that is easy access from here too.

Hope we get some snow so you can check out wherever you end up!

(how's that for my longwinded typing? haha!

Thanks for the info guys, should help me out when the snow ever decides to come. we have ridden the trails a few years ago by st. mathius and Harding area. they were very nice, and little traffic, went over to Millacs

Icecold, once we do get snow, you might want to consider Big Sandy Lake area. We have a great trail system, nearby state park. Trails that will take you anywhere with much less traffic then the hsolist area. I have ridden the cross lake trails and you better be done by 12:00 Saturday cause they get beat up in a hurry. Lots of hills, woods etc.

just my advice, lets hope for snow, soon!!!