• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cummins question

I have a 2008 Dodge 2500 cummins. The other day it threw a code. I got the code, it is P2262, which is a turbo issue. I am on my 2nd turbo on the truck. it has 42,000 miles. after I bought the truck, it threw a code, was under warranty, brought it in, they cleaned the turbo and all was well. a few months later, CEL is on again. again turbo, this time they replaced the turbo under warranty. that was done in august of 2013 and 35,000 miles. At this point, the truck is out of warranty, as is the turbo they put in in 2013. I'm not happy. I'm wondering if any of you guys have had this problem and what I might have for options. I know I don't use the truck as often as I should, but I certainly shouldn't be having this many problems with this low of milage. Also, if I drive it with the turbo gummed up, will I damage anything? I can't afford to fix the turbo right now. thanks for your help.

I would not recommend driving it with a defective turbo. The most common causes that I am aware of are installing one of the aftermarket air cleaner such as a K and N or not doing a DPF and EGR delete or the VGT controller not being calibrated properly when they replaced the first one.

a couple questions i have is do you use it hard? Meaning that you run it pulling a load or give the engine a chance to lug down? Also do you let the engine idle down before you shut it down? Have you tried running it down freeway with engine brake on? So i have been looking at the Cummins owner forums and this is a common thing. So the turbo is part of the exhaust system and it should have a longer warranty on it? maybe? I would find a good diesel mechanic if the dealer is not going to help you and see what they say. Can you hear the turbo when you step on it? Lots of info out on the web for this very issue. Curious to see what you come up with, good luck.

I do not use it hard, I know I should. I bought it to pull my camper in the summer. It does have an after market air intake. It was on when I bought the truck, but i was told by the dealer it wouldn't cause these problems. I always have the engine brake on when I drive.

I work on a lot of ford diesels but not much dodge stuff, this code seams to me vane sticking issue, there is a ring on the inside of the ford turbo's that stick and cause a check engine lite to come on. That problem stems from the owner not driving the trucks, the trucks that sit and only pull campers and boats every once and awhile in the summer. I tell people that have diesels that they are made to run hard, and if they are used for only certain thing and sit a lot they seam to have problems like this. I see if you could get the turbo cleaned again and either run it hard or see if there is a gas unit comparable for your liking