• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone run rear tracks on their polaris sportsman 6x6?

DIESELDAN

I just bought a 2004 sportsman 6x6 that came with rear tracks. I have heard horror stories about the tracks causing things to break like chains and sprockets, anyone have this happen? Thought the tracks might be nice for ice fishing when the snow gets deeper.Just wondering if I shouldn't use them if they cause too many problems. Maybe the stories are exaggerated. Thanks DieselDan

I can see where there would be increased stress on the drive train if there's nothing on the front other than tires to help with staying on top of the snow. Either a set of tracks or skis (with the 4x4 turned off of course) to help keep the front end afloat and not pushing/plowing the snow would help.

I met a guy and his kid pretty far out on Mille Lacs with one that had tracks. He seemed to be doing pretty well at moving around the area, but the snow was packed a little from the wind and sun. I thought it was a pretty cool rig! smile

My dad had tracks on 1 of his 6x6's. As long as you did your maintenance and kept it under 25 or so it was fine. I remember him saying they got a little floppy at higher speed. Bad news is if you drop the front end in good luck! He was showing off and had to get the JD 60 out to pull the wheeler out. Look at a strap-on ski kit for the front and you are golden!