• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

93 Arctic Cat EXT 550 efi

$wampDonkey

hey guys i got a 93 ext 550 efi that i got for free. it does not run. i was told that the gaskets were bad for the fuel and air and it was giving its self to much fuel and flooding its self out. those were replaced and is still giving its self to much fuel. is it the efi box? does it need to be reprogrammed?

thanks!

If you haven't already done it my guess would be that the carburetors need to be gone through. If it has been sitting for any length of time and they weren't cleaned that's more than likely where the problem lies. Check the compression too, if it is low there may possibly be fuel in the crank case that had leaked by needle seats.

SwampDonkey,

The guys that posted above make a couple good points, check your spark, make sure it's good and also check for fuel in the crankcase, that could be a big issue if it's old gas, you'll need to get as much of that out as you can.

Since you say its a EFI, there's probably a throttle position sensor, I've had to replace those before but I don't think it's a common issue. The TPS could be asking for more fuel when it shouldn't be. When my TPS went bad, I was able to get a OHM reading value from my Cat dealer to confirm it was shot.

You might want to try to unplug the Fuel Injectors from the wiring harness, that should stop them from injecting more fuel and allow the sled to run for a little bit before it dies.

If it's the EFI box, good luck, we had a '94 Prowler 440 EFI with a bad computer box and never did get it to run, gave someone a heck of a deal and said have fun!

Mike

Unplug the crankcase plugs(on 95 Polaris the plugs are on the front of the engine and under the muffler) not sure where they are on the cat.., there might be some fuel sitting on the bottom.