• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reduced Engine Power Chevy

Hello everyone I desperately need some help. My wife and I have had a terrible car week. Wednesday my wife rolled our 2006 equinox with our two young kids thank god nobody got hurt, but it totaled the car. Now yesterday I'm back on a logging road doing some trapping stuff and this happens to my truck. Here is some background on the vehicle

2007 Chevy crewcab 1500 truck (New Body Style)

106,000 miles on it.

I'm driving and all of a sudden the Reduced Engine Power reading comes up and my truck will only do 20-40mpgs. I was very lucky to make it off that logging road. Any ideas what caused this? Is it major? Any help is much appreciated.

Glad the wife and kids are okay shocked

Coolant level good? Oil level checked? Oil pressure normal?

Did a quick search and it sounds like it could be the throttle position sensor. There is a recall on it and they fix it free if under 120k miles.

But if you are getting 40 miles-per-gallon I would keep it the way it is..... grin j/k I know you meant mph.

GM drive by wire throttle systems are plagued with this problem.

Sometimes simply shutting off the vehicle and restarting will reset the system and it will drive normally until the anomaly is picked up again by the engines computer. If it does not than it is hard failure and an immediate repair will need to be made.

I have seen everything from failed throttle bodies, bad wiring, and throttle pedals cause this condition.

Thanks for all the comments! This problem occurred in the am and I was able to shut the truck off a few time and then I was able to drive home fine with no reduced power, but it happened again later in the day, so I tried shutting it off and restarting a few times and that did not work. I live 30 minutes from International Falls, MN this is the closest dealer.

Just hoping the problem is not expensive with our other car problems. Also with fisher and Marten season next weekend I can not have this happen 18 miles down a lonely logging road!

I have had it happen on my Chevy when the battery went bad. i did a search when it happened and found disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes may reset it. Worked for me, and allowed me to go get a new battery.

Ok guys the I Falls GM dealer is booked, so I called the Cook Dealership (45min) away and have an appointment for Wednesday morning. I did some internet searching and read quite a few posts talking about a recall and free fixes. The dealer I called this morning says nothing shows up on there file as for recalls or what not. What do you think?

I'd call GM customer service and ask them. Have your VIN and they should be able to clearly answer your question on the re-call. Dealer may have made a simple mistake when they looked it up. If it is under recall get some documentation so you have your ducks in a row when you get to the dealer. They will happily do the work no matter what but you'll be happy to if their is no out of pocket for you.

On the Chev trucks with Stabilitrack, this will also give one reduced power, the fix until u get to a dealer, shut the truck off, wait 10 minutes and restart. You may have to do this a couple times to reset the computer.

Not sure if your truck has this option.

here is a link that discusses these issues.

http://answers.edmunds.com/question-2007...135-148710.aspx