• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fishing wacky worms

Dynasty

Lately Ive really been trying to learn new techniques so figured I would give it a try.

I was fishing a senko imitation around docks and couldnt figure out how to work it. I have heard the action comes from its wobble on the fall. I guess my question is, generally how do you go about fishing these? Do you let them sink totaly, raise them back to the surface, real in the slack letting them fall again (this is what I was doing)? Do you swim it or fish it on the bottom with slight rod raises?

I know the fish were in the area and feading because my dad was catching the fish on flukes.

Thanks for any help.

I love my Senkos(and imitations).
I cast it out, let it wobble down, and bring it up near the surface and let 'er wobble back down.
I have only fished them weightless(not sure if anyone fishes them with weights).
So I don't fish them much deeper than a few feet of water.
Sounds like what you were doing, was my preferred Senko method.

The senko/imitators are great because they have a great wiggle as they fall, and when twitched they are just like a jerkbait. I like to let them sink, and then twitch it back towards the surface with the jerkbait motion, then let it sink again.

If you are fishing them "wacky" rigged then it's all in the fall.

I fish senkos/imitations the exact same way you mentioned, however you might want to try using senkos texas rigged too. I use both methods and both have a time and place for them. The benefit of t-rigged is it gets just the tail moving for a sometime subtle movements and when you pull it up it darts just like a plastic jerkbait/fluke and then falls again.

I fish them weightless too and I might also suggest that after you let them fall to the bottom, let them rest there for a couple of seconds and then give it a little wiggle up just to get it off the bottom and let it come to rest again on the bottom for a couple seconds. If not bite, give it a jerk to the surface and start all over.

Bass are very curious fish and if they aren't going for a reaction strike they will watch a bait and follow it to the bottom and that deadstick on the bottom often times will drive them crazy and if that isn't enough, the little movement after will. If no bite, there isn't a fish there that is going to bite.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help everyone. Maybe my problem was I didnt let them rest on the bottom to long.

One more question, my baits were sinking really fast (only a few seconds to sink to the bottom in 3-4'). It suprised me I thought it was a slower sink. Could it be the hook I was using? It was just a Gamakatsu 2/0 octopus hook.

The 2/0 gammi is not the problem. Try switching to a larger diameter line. This will slow the fall.

Also -- I'm not sure if you're if you're using 4 or 5" senkos, but the 4s will sink slower, but they don't have quite the jiggle of the 5 inchers.