• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remington 7400

Hey Guys,

I'll be honest I don't know everything about guns but I have some questions? Anybody know why my 7400 (semi-auto) will not fully engage my second shell. I am guessing it is a spring issue. I brought it to a gunsmith and he said it worked fine. He said I have to make sure my clip is properly seated (whatever that means) I shot it last weekend and it will fire my first shell but won't fire the second. I am dissapointed as I was told it was fine and I don't have time to fix it. Now I have a single shot semi-automatic. Any help would be great

Thanks in advance

Docc

I am going to go out on a limb and your gunsmith meant make sure your magazine is fully seated. Sometimes they will not seat all the way in and it will not be able to cycle in the next round.

If it were me I would take it apart and give it a good cleaning, reassemble and try it.

You are not alone.... My old Hunting buddy gave his 7400 to his Son in law and after last years ordeal he took it back. Shot a fork and the second shell never loaded properly. A second bigger buck came in and offered a broadside shoot- no matter how hard he pulled on the trigger the gun would not go off.

He traded it off and now his son in law is shooting a Ticca T3 308... Way better gun and much easier to carry in the woods.

I talked to the gunsmith.. He said that he will try and shoot it again tomorrow. He suspects its a magazine problem. Man its frustrating. My luck is that I will see the buck of my dreams that will give me a second shot and I will be screwing around with my gun. I am going to get the thing fixed and buy a bolt action.

My buddy had the same issue. Long story short the Gunsmith told him to only fire Remington shells through it for some reason to do with the ejector rim, and the other thing he did was buff out the chamber as it was all nicked up from using the wrong brand shells. He had this done about 3 years go and the issue has not come back yet and he only uses Remington shells. I'm just relaying the info, don't jump on me!! smirk

My 7600 pump shoots any brand that I have tried without an issue. smile

i have a 7400, had it for about 10 years now and have not had any ejecting issues knock on wood, i do only use core-lokts, but have shot federals in it with good results. I would just make sure your clip is seated perfectly like your gunsmith told you!

I have buffed out several 7400 and 7600 chambers this year,it will also cause cycling problems. as the first round is being ejected it drags and it ejects to slow causing the next round not to cycle3 properly.

When my buddy was having issues it would also show a dent in the end of the case opening of the first round. He has not had the issue for a while after getting it buffed out.

I have had this model for years, I also had the second shell issue and it was the clip. I had an extra clip that I don't know where it e from. Several buddies own these as well and must have left the clip. But anyway it was a clip with the spring tension release lever. I went back to the one with out the lever and it hasn't failed since.