• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

40hp Johnson

$wampDonkey

I have a 1990 oil injected 40hp Johnson on my boat. When I got to start it (electric start) it gives off a ringing/buzzing noise from the ignition area. I've read that it's the alarm making that noise and that a constant ring has to do with overheating but the boat just started and isn't overheating. It runs fine also so I'm not sure what the issue could be. Any insight would be

appreciated. Thanks!

I wouldnt trust the oil injection on older omc especially the vro. I would premix the gas for it. My first "BIG OUTBOARD" a 1988 40horse johnson was rough, sucked gas twice as fast as my current 90 honda, fouled plugs frequently, but was or less reliable. That buzzing might be the starter gear not retracting and grinding/spining while touching on the flywheel. Just a thought

Good luck

Its been a great working motor so far and Ive had no issues besides this one. Its using oil still. I know that because i top it off everytime i gas up to go out. The ringing has been going on for 2 months now and everything has been running fine to my knowledge. Im just sick of the annoying sound.

Unless your motor is dramatically different than my 84 johnson 40hp, there is not much to these motors. I am still going with the temp sensor. If you have a multimeter, you can test it. Hopefully someone can come on and say what it should read, and how to test it. Follow the wiring and see if there is a damaged wire, or loose ground.

If you look at the back of the block near the top cylinder, you'll find the temp sender. It'll have a single tan wire. Simply unplug the tan wire. If sound stops, the sender is bad. If it continues, you have to look into the oil alarm.