• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vikes vs Fudge??

FISHINGURU

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lions (7-5) had lost their last two games, five consecutive against Green Bay and a franchise-record nine straight in their annual showcase on Thanksgiving.

"It's a step in the right direction for us," Stafford said. "I'm sure the turkey will taste better."

The Packers (5-6-1) have a five-game winless streak for the first time since 2008.

"We're not used to anything like this -- not on this team," Green Bay linebacker A.J. Hawk said. "This is something that is going to make a lot of guys on this team think, and that's good. We need to find some answers because they just ran the ball down our throats."

Bush responded from fumbling deep in Green Bay territory to score a 1-yard TD run that gave Detroit a 17-10 lead late in the first half. He finished with 117 yards rushing and 65 yards receiving. Bush' backup, Joique Bell, ran for a career-high 94 yards and a score.

The Packers, painfully, are finding out how valuable Rodgers is for the franchise. Rodgers has missed four-plus games since fracturing his left collarbone. Green Bay has tied one and lost four without him.

"We're a wounded team that got drilled by a good football team," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said.

Matt Flynn became the fourth starting quarterback for Green Bay this year and was sacked seven times, once by Ndamukong Suh for a safety.

Flynn didn't fare as well as he did in his last start for Green Bay against the same opponent.

He was 10 of 20 for 139 yards with an interception and two fumbles. In the last game of the 2011 regular season, while Rodgers rested for the playoffs, Flynn threw for 480 yards and six TDs in a 45-41 win over Detroit.

"They might have a lot of the same guys, but I can say they're a different defense," Flynn said. "They're flying around, creating havoc."

The Packers have been leaning on rookie running back Eddie Lacy lately, but he was limited to 16 yards on 10 carries against one of the NFL's best defenses against the run.

Detroit was balanced on offense.

Johnson had six receptions for 101 yards and a 20-yard TD to put the Lions up 24-10 early in the third quarter. He has 4,944 yards receiving in two-plus seasons, breaking Jerry Rice's NFL record for yards receiving in a three-year stretch. Rice had 4,850 yards receiving from 1993 to 1995.

Stafford was 22 of 35 for 330 yards with two interceptions and a fumble that was returned by Morgan Burnett to put the Packers up 10-3 early in the second quarter.

After that, Detroit did whatever it wanted on both sides of the ball. And if the Lions didn't start the game so poorly, the score could've been even more lopsided.

Detroit gained 561 yards and gave up just 126.

Green Bay didn't have more than 100 yards of offense until Flynn threw a 56-yard pass to Jordy Nelson with a little more than a minute left. Flynn then fumbled in a fitting end for a game that he and his team would like to forget.

All of the excuses about injuries, short weeks, distractions, suspensions, Ponder playing, etc. are weak. All teams have them and the good ones get it done. I seem to recall a few years back that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with Josh Freeman at QB, came into the Dome off of a short week. They were supposed to be at a disadvantage but easily beat the Vikings. These players are supposedly professionals that make millions of dollars to play a game and if they don't play all out, bench them and put someone in who will. Although he's not a great QB, Ponder seems to be the scapegoat here but I didn't think he played on the defensive unit or offensive line.

Quote:
It's because Teddy sees the blitz, feels the pressure and gets rid of the ball, Blunder don't see anything and holds the ball and dances around like a goon. Plain and simple.

Do you really think you can run the ball when the defense has 0 respect for the passing game? Why would any defense play the pass when Blunder is QB? Your not going anywhere with Asiata and Mckinnon when the defense is playing the run every play.

I absolutely agree with this 100%. Average line with average backs are gong to get exposed by a quarterback that can't even complete check down passes or hit any receiver in stride. A good qb would get rid of the ball much faster so they would have to honor the pass instead of always sending everyone. That would then open up the running game. They were not only willing, but able to consistently put 8 in the box and send someone on a blitz every time because they knew ponder couldn't find open receivers fast enough, and even if he did, the chances of him getting them the ball was slim. Not saying they would have won with Teddy, hard to spot someone 14 points and win, but the defense did settle down and shut down the packers 3 straight series. Then the turnovers came and it was game over.

All of the excuses about injuries, short weeks, distractions, suspensions, Ponder playing, etc. are weak. All teams have them and the good ones get it done. I seem to recall a few years back that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with Josh Freeman at QB, came into the Dome off of a short week. They were supposed to be at a disadvantage but easily beat the Vikings. These players are supposedly professionals that make millions of dollars to play a game and if they don't play all out, bench them and put someone in who will. Although he's not a great QB, Ponder seems to be the scapegoat here but I didn't think he played on the defensive unit or offensive line.

wrong...they aren't excuses, they're reasons. And all teams do NOT lose the starting 2 QB's, all pro RB and TE and tackler, at the same time, and still "git er done" I suspect very few do.

Ponders not a scapegoat, more like a cancer, and you're darn tootin it has a negative effect on the whole team.

New England has only beat us and barely beat a horrible Oakland team.

The Saints only beat us.........

We beat a Atlanta team that is horrible on the road and had no O line

We also beat a bad St. Louis team

We are not that good people!

Sure Teddy and our new coach give us hope but thats about it.

Limit...that's your cue

The Packers last year lost 2 QBs (played a practice squad QB till Flynn was resigned), their best TE, one of their top WR, and good chunk of their defense incl Matthews for a good portion of the year... Though their record didn't warrant it, they still won the division... There were not fans making excuses... Next man up was the Mantra most stated...

as a player, Even if you lose or think you have no shot,, you better play to a high level as a highly paid pro... If you want to use the excuse that Ponder gives us no chance and sand bag, you should be cut from the team. If you are a fan and can't support your team through tough times with questionable players, find a new team!

I still don't buy the had zero chance against a terrible Packer defense... If they blitz, run. Everyone had a love fest for Asiata and McKinnon till this game... Adjust your game plan. The O line was terrible. The defense was the on,y team Lacy had success against this season... Lots of blame to go around. It was a team loss... Turner is supposed to be a guru, he should've had a plan in place for Ponder... He knows his limits. I'd put some of the blame on him as well. The Vikings should have run the ball, control the clock, minimize turn overs and only allowed short outlet passes.

The Packers last year lost 2 QBs (played a practice squad QB till Flynn was resigned), their best TE, one of their top WR, and good chunk of their defense incl Matthews for a good portion of the year... Though their record didn't warrant it, they still won the division... There were not fans making excuses... Next man up was the Mantra most stated...

I repeat...very FEW teams. of course the Packers pulled it off:)

....and all that is extremely difficult to do when your starting qb cant do a single thing right to move the ball incuding but not limited to throwing picks, still not able to read a defense after 3 years, not a single accurate throw to own receivers, etc.

Thursdays game was nothing out of the ordinary. Vikes fans should be used to the packers pounding the living sheet out of us. Seems to happen quite often in recent memory. Pretty embarrassing. If Zimmer wants to endear himself to the MN fans he had better find a way to start beating the bears and packers.

Having said that, Christian Ponder gave u ZERO chance to win the game. Spare me the Packers "next man up" lecture. Those same packers without A Rog TIED the vikings last year at lambeau with Christian Blunder at the helm. The vikings have been delt a horrible hand to start the season with all the injuries and the schedule of hall of fame QB's. Its not too bad that they are 2-3 at this point. I would say ill take it. But man, its getting old getting your ahole kicked every time by the main rivals

Guru,

I'm the farthest thing from a Vikings fan there is... I could care less if they win or lose. I don't get whipped up if my team wins or loses... Football s fun to watch, no matter how loud I yell, the outcome won't change. Start your precious Teddy and they still lose... He would have just gotten further injured.

If Ponder is as horrific as you're claiming, your gurus Notvana and Dimmer wouldn't have kept him even as a 3rd stringer. If Norv was as great a QB sear sayer as you believe, he would've had a game plan in place for a Ponder start, especially knowing he may start that game. If he couldn't pass, why continue on with pass plays being sent in? For more stalled drives and ints? Dont give me because they were down, they would just go down further. Run the ball, take away the blitz, use up clock, tire the defense... Or would the o line give up on Asiata and McKinnon too? I don't think Ponder is an NFL caliber QB, but to lay that loss solely or even most,y at his feet is a joke. He played a good sized roll in it, but from the coaches who were out coached down to the Gatorade boys sqirting water, and every player in between, all had a roll in that loss.

If the team played for Ponder the last two years, why not at GB Thursday night? Didn't he give them 10 wins two years ago under Leslie? He must have been a better QB coach than the turner(s)... Don't give me the EXCUSE they quit because Ponder was starting. I think that's just an excuse... If they quit, they SUCK AS PROS!

The Packers are still a better team than the Vikings... Face it. Big deal... You have no horse in the race. Unless you are on the team and just like visiting forums. Relax... It's just entertainment. Enjoy the season... Who cares what the record is!? You have no say in the outcome....

New England has only beat us and barely beat a horrible Oakland team.

The Saints only beat us.........

We beat a Atlanta team that is horrible on the road and had no O line

We also beat a bad St. Louis team

We are not that good people!

Sure Teddy and our new coach give us hope but thats about it.

someone-who-gets-it-86006818_zps3c6ee153

The Packers last year lost 2 QBs (played a practice squad QB till Flynn was resigned), their best TE, one of their top WR, and good chunk of their defense incl Matthews for a good portion of the year... Though their record didn't warrant it, they still won the division... There were not fans making excuses...

Give me a break...... crazy

I wouldn't put a whole lot of weight into that game. 3 Thursday night games in a row have pitted veteran coaches and QB's against first year coaches with backup QBs. No surprise all 3 were blowouts, especially with 2 of those games being home games for the veteran team (homefield advantage has 4 times the influence on a Thursday night game than on Sunday or Monday games). The Vikings beat Atlanta fairly handily on a full week of practice with Teddy, and Atlanta was one of those Thursday teams to win in a blowout. Tampa, the losing team in the blowout went on to beat Pittsburgh. In the week before that we also know that New York isn't that great, and Washington isn't that bad. That game is more the result of scheduling and injuries than anything.

The Vikings aren't in bad shape at 2-3, especially if they can bounce back next week and knock off Detroit. We've already played the toughest games on our schedule.

Every glimmer of hope a viking fan gets, everyone thinks they're the savior for this team. Teddy has played one fnnn game, against a subpar opponent. Give me a break, the vikings are a long stretch away from having all the pieces. Blame Thursdays game on Ponder all you want, where was the defense, the o line, the running game? Cant imagine how bad Rodgers would have torched them if the weather wasnt the way it was. Lets stretch this out another 6 pages and tell me how much better they will be with Teddy....laughable

I just find it funny that as a fan i find out about an hr before gametime blounder is starting, and instantly i feel not a chance in hell we win this game, but some here are critical for the players to have thought that way. After spending practices, games etc with that garbage, even they knew they had no chance.

I just find it funny that as a fan i find out about an hr before gametime blounder is starting, and instantly i feel not a chance in hell we win this game, but some here are critical for the players to have thought that way. After spending practices, games etc with that garbage, even they knew they had no chance.

So you are saying the NFL needs to come up with a forfeit clause. Poll the players, if they don't feel they could win, or they don't want to play for a certain QB, they pack their bags and head home... Really?

2 valuable notes came from this game.

1. Ponder is much worse than the current coaching staff envisioned, there simply is no help for him as an nfl qb.

2. Zimmer quickly found out how bad he is. With a constant (even bad) run blitzing defense green bay knew ponder can not read a d, make proper o-line calls, let alone found an open receiver or even get the ball to them. With constant d blitzing and 2nd 3rd and long situations which its obvious pondef cant handle it was a,easy night of pop warner football for packers.

The defense can only do so much if the offense cant control ball and clock and play keep away from rodgers and constantly have short field to defend. Add that to how crappy the d line played along with others and the outcome is simple and clear.

The good news is the game was never close which should be a great wake up call for entire team. Also, its onlt one game and happened early in season. Plenty of time to figure it out, december would have been much worse. The real problem is they ned to find a much better backip to teddy NOW!!