• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting reports....

nbadger23

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday night was chaos for me. Multiple bucks chasing does around my stand. Although I only spotted one of the bucks and he was a 1.5 year old. Old doe winded me (someone needs to tell the deer to walk on their trails!!) but she just trotted into the thick stuff only to be chased back out by another buck.

Scouted an area yesterday and saw a decent 10 pointer so I went in there this morning. Only saw 1 buck and I'm pretty sure it was him. Had him at 20 yards but was hunting from the ground and had no shot. He turned down one trail to early or I would have had shooting lanes at him. He came by at 7:15 but I never saw another deer after that.

Torn on where to go tonight if the rain stays away. Lot's of corn coming out the last few days.

AS, are you in a ground blind or just running and gunning using natural cover? The idea of hunting deer using natural cover has always intrigued me. I would love to hear from guys who have done this, maybe in another thread.

Going on hour six without seeing a thing .....

At this rate it's gonna be a lonnnggg boring day in the stand......

Still nothing...

But I did hear a car lock up the brakes, hopefully that means the deer are starting to move wink lol

eye dr,

This morning was a LONG hike back on some public land. There were plenty of spots to use as natural cover from the ground.

If the Buck had waited ONE more trail before turning left he wouldnt have gotten down wind of me. I was hoping the deer would come in from the south or east but he came from the north. Silly me, why would a deer ever do what I want them to do!!

Do you hunt from natural cover often? I have spots like this as well and was just wondering if it would be worth just sitting behind natural cover. Thanks for the report.

I often make brush blinds from available materials. I also use camo burlap on occasion to make a quick blind. Shooting a deer from the ground, or even seeing one up close, is pretty darned exciting. It's also very difficult, but can be done. I'll be sitting on the ground tomorrow.

how are you able to tell the age of a buck by seeing it walk by in a woods?

Body shape is the best way to tell. A rounded roman nose and swayed back are strong indicators. You can never judge a bucks age by his rack.

Well tonight was pretty interesting. I hunt a city management hunt, so I'm pretty much hunting the wooded part of a city park. Sat from 1 till dark and it was pretty uneventful.

I saw 6 runners, 2 bikers, a dog (that I rattled in) and 2 does at last light.

It was probably 20 minutes before shooting time ended and I heard something crashing through the swamp behind me. I could tell it wasnt a squirrel (again) and at about 15 yards I see a small doe poke its head out of the thick brush. Just as she does that, I see a runner go by about 50 yards in front of the doe, so she jumps back into the swamp. After 5 minutes or so, she decided it was safe and came back out in the clearing area and was grazing. Than I heard some more crashing in the swamp. I'm instantly thinking it's a buck chasing her, so I grab my bow. All of a sudden an even smaller doe comes bounding out of the brush and starts grazing with the other doe. I wait about 10 more minutes till I think they're far enough away than I climbed down and walked out.

No bucks but it was a beautiful night! Minus the rain for a little bit.

Ended up taking a small 8-pointer tonight. Wife was on me to bring home some venison, apparently she is sick of tag soup as well. Heart shot him with a Rage and he went 30 yards before falling over. Now I'm just looking for "Mr Field & Stream".

Only 2 deer I saw today were bucks. Little too warm out.

Hunted 2 1/2 days this past weekend. 5 sits at 5 different spots between those days. Seen deer 2 of 5 sits. Blah. Did see some rut action though. Spike and a small multiple point buck chasing a doe around me. She was running with her tongue hanging out her mouth. 1st I seen that. She musta been thirsty! This was Sun morning. The previous evening I had easy 15 yd shots on two big does on separate occasions. After 3 days in the woods and coming home empty handed, kinda wished I whacked one of those does. Though I see plenty of deer throughout the season, it's not often I see a deer do the "runway walk" in front of my stand, pause for a long time without knowing I'm there, while looking the other way, and then turn around to meander off. Anyhow, when I finally decided I would shoot the first legal deer that looked over 120 lbs, they stopped doing that. Go figure.

A friend on the same property did see a huge buck and a smaller buck the day before and those didn't give a care about rattling or grunting or the does. I think it just depends on the individual deer on whether "the rut is on" or not.... Cuz that little spike I saw Sun morning was on a mission for some older women laugh

"A “party” is defined as any group of two or more licensed deer hunters who

are all afield; hunting together at the same time;ANDall using firearms

(including muzzleloaders) or all using archery."

What's the definition of "afield?" Seems like a lot of wives are sitting in the house while their husband shoots a deer with her tag. I'm not assuming that you were alone in the woods. okay, I am! grin

"Party members who are not afield hunting with the individual who takes a deer

at the time it is taken may not legally tag that deer."

anyways...nice job on the buck. Some people might need to lighten up, just because you don't have the opportunity to shoot someone else's deer for them doesn't mean you have to dog the guy that does. If my hunting partner would let me I would be glad to shoot his deer for him lol. Also don't just assume that he was hunting alone...why would someone put that on the internet if he wasn't?