• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smallies in small waters

Jim W

Jim W,
I have a few questions for you. Have you ever been in a stream or river and caught both smallies and trout at the same time? What are your favorite smallie streams in SE MN? Mine is the North Branch of the Root. Also if you could only take four lures along to catch smallies what would they be? Thanks for your reply.

Jim,

As an avid smallie fisherman, I do hit the skinny water of the Croix a few times a year (Taylors Falls and south). And as you stated, sometimes the bite is unbelievable and then the next day with the same conditions a bite cannot be found.... Also with the skinny water I find the water varies a good four feet. Last fall we launched off a wingdam which is usually 6-12" under the water.
Between the skinny water of the Croix and the big water towards Stillwater (which is a little more stable in water depth), I pick my poison for the day.

------------------
God bless,
Judd Yaeger
Yaeger Guides (Twin Cities Guides) www.yaegerweb.com/guide

As we approach a new season for planning and targeting preferred species, I can only think about hitting small streams and rivers for smallmouth. Yes the Mississippi will often be thrown into the mix, but I can't find anything more enjoyable than to set out with my hip boots alone, fishing for the "tooth and nail" smallmouth.
I'll say it now and you'll probably see me say it time and time again, they aren't as easy to target say as the stream trout.

Trout available in streams and lakes in Mn are much more consistent in their aggressive feeding patterns and way more predictable.

Countless times I have found myself wading for smallmouth, nailing them one day only to return the next(with matching condtions as the previous day) getting skunked or not catching numbers of larger fish.

Moving waters play a very large role along with the usual forage availabilty equations.
Spending a LOT of time on small waters is key to success, but then again, there are no guarantees when fishing smallmouth in streams and rivers, especailly in the smaller to medium class variety.

Wading for smallmouth is not a science for the faint hearted or impatient fisherman.
Yup, I have experienced "gang buster days", where fish are so competetive that I actually catch two fish on one rapala, but that is becoming more a rarity as time goes on.

Cold water resource management(or lack there of), removal of upstream dams and ignorance to catch and release(to name a few) are severely impacting some true trophy bronzeback waters. Take heed to the concerns applicable to your favorite waters.

In SE MN there is an organization dealing with such issues, trying to protect smallmouth in the Zumbro River: SEMSA.
(I am not a memeber, but value their efforts)

As the sun stays even higher up and the days warm longer, look for them smallmouth to turn on! However, give your self time for more than just an outing or two to really enjoy these true small water question marks.

I am hoping to put in more than adequate time this year, wading for them hard rod bending "panfish"! I too hope that some of my own questions will be answered. HMMMMMM, that might take too much of the fun out of it!

BRING ON MAY 29!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else target small water smallmouth?

HAve insight to share, pop in, let's get the talk flowing!!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

I havnt for quite a few years.. but when I was younger my father and I used to fish the many streams that ran around the Mora area... Before the poisend them out you could cast a small jig or Mepps and catch quite a few 8-10" smallies. It was a blast. Thanks for the fun read Jim, it brought back quite a few fine memories.

I still chase the smallies on the St.Croix quite a bit, north of the taylors falls dam.. But I would hardly call that small water...

just havin' fun,

Answers:
1. Yes. One time that comes to mind was on two consecutive casts. First was a 17 inch brown, the second cast yielded an 18 inch smallmouth.
2. Most of the Root river system, main, North and Middle Branches.
3. Lures(for my waters):
9 inch Original Floating rapala in black and silver, 1/6 oz. Yellow bumble bee Rooster tail, Semi-Texas rigged 3 inch plstic craw fish(1/8 oz. bullet weight and 1 ot off-set hook).
THe 4th is a toss-up between top water and the Rebel Crawfish crankbait!

I'm getting more pumped now!!

Yaeger and Exude:
I have to get up there sometime! MAybe we could work something out this Fall?

Anyone else love the small stream and river smally hunting??

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Wading for smallies is my favorite type of fishing next to pike fishing. Wish the DNR would put out some more information about small streams and what kind of fish are in them. Every time I drive by a small stream or river I wonder if there are smallies in it or if it is just a dead drainage ditch.

Ilikepike,
The DNR does do surveys on smaller systems check out the Montrose site through the main DNR page search window. Places like the Sauk, Watab, Elk, Crow and Johnson Creek all have smallies at certain times and with varying abundance. You may want to give one of those a shot here in central MN. Good luck.

Ahh, small river smallies. It doesn't get much better than that in my book. I've done a lot of smallmouth fishing around the area. Many nice fish have come out of these small streams. But I have also seen great smallmouth fishing on certain streams decline GREATLY over the years. That just goes to prove how important catch and release is.

------------------
Do you think fish brag about the size of the man they got away from?

You guys are singin' my favorite song, SMALLIES! Believe it or not, I have found that a 2 1/2 inch reaper on about an 1/8 oz or 1/16 oz jig head is a very bait for smallies. Got the idea from a Joe Bucher fishing show. I'm still thinking about slipping down to Iowa to try the smallies before the MN bass season opens. Like everyone else, I'm getting excited about smallie fishing!

------------------
Lew

I caught my first 04 smallie on Pool 3 last Saturday, and she was close to 16". Thanks Ringworm!

As far as skinny water I guess the Rum is about it. I do like the croix, and sippi as well. I also heard about pigs in the Crow.

The smallmouth is my favorite fish next to largemouth's of course.

And you don't have to wait till opener Pools 2 & 3 have some smallies next to rip rap. Well two were any ways. Good luck gents, see ya on the water.

jim. she was on a rock pt just above the dam.water is dirty enough i couldn't tell. funny thing though! two years ago i caught a 2 1/2 smallie off of the exact spot that i caught this one today. makes a person wonder ! del