• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern Tooth and Purple Laccaria

You guys eat either one of these shrooms in the title? Saw a bunch of both over the last couple trips- the northern tooth seem to be edible by some guides and not edible in others- the Laccaria ochropurpurea have been taunting me the last few runs too- anyone tried em?

Been getting a few hens and chickens are everywhere it seems-

full-4296-48382-image.jpg

full-4296-48383-image.jpg

full-4296-48384-image.jpg

Never tried either. Read enough of don't bother with the N. tooth ....to bother, and purple mushrooms scare me. Looks like your good to go, but they are always in the "you first" category for me wink

Usually can find enough of things I have a better grip on. Jr. and I got out for the first time in a few weeks to a new spot and found some "tried and true" still poppin....no hens yet frown

20140818_194036_zpseksxorxv.jpg

Yep, I am not at all adventurous on new shrooms but curious if any of you guys had already been the "you first" guy... grin

Still yet to find any lobsters in my travels, must not be looking in the right areas...nice to see some chanterelles are still good somewhere, found a handful of good ones last time out but most are shot-hens should be good soon, gotten 5 so far and this rain should help a ton-

Saw about a dozen nice specimens tonight of what could be these. Did you take a spore print yet Jerky? From what I gather if it is white/violet you would be in the clear being the first? smile There big enough, not slimy, anything else to rule out????Think I'll grab them tomorrow and see what they say........Stick just texted me.....maybe he will try them....lol.

I have done a bunch of digging and the look alike species are pretty obvious as far as confusing them. A spore print would seal it but I haven't been that motivated yet. grin today is my last day before headed up North again for the weekend, see how I feel when I cross paths with them later....

I should've taken a better picture (originally the mushroom, not the Lovable one-who-thinks-I-am-silly, was in focus), but I *think* this one is a purple cort--or one of the corts that's purple. Apparently there are a few corts that have greater or lesser amounts of purple shading for some, all, or very little of their "life spans" and are either good edibles or deadly poisonous, depending on the species or your guidebook. But the rusty brown streaks on the stem (I'm guessing from the spores?) and the tightly packed gills don't look like the laccaria. full-18483-48496-c0rtdog.jpg

Glad you got the mutt out. He needs it smile Am wondering now if it is genetic or has something to do with the shrooms......lol.

Yeah, as sure as I am about the Laccaria, outside of Matt's buddy's report of "delish", have not heard/read they are delish enough to try them......because of those "pesky" little corts. They are still in my fridge if anyone wants to try......

I came across a ton of the laccaria tonight, too. They're definitely out this year, but I didn't pick them. In fact, as far as I can remember, this has been--by far--the most prolific year for mushrooms of all species. Insane numbers out there right now.