• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bear hunting

mnguy152

Yes, middle of the middle. This makes the verticle placement easy- in the middle of the top and bottom lines. The horizontal placement is tougher- middle there inludes the back end to the tip of the nose. For me, it's just easier to think of aiming where I'd shoot a deer, but back about 5" or so. Find the back of the shoulder, then move back a bit.

my wife and I both shot pope and young boars in Manitoba this spring. Middle of the middle is safe, but with a bear on bait and if your nerves are settled, take the heart shot. Our bears were both dead in under 20 yds, not even time for a death moan. I would also suggest a fixed broadhead, while in bear camp, we had a few bears wounded, mechanicals may not have been completely to blame, but year after year there is a much higher rate of lost bears with them, to the extent he is considering not allowing them in camp. Good luck.

Mike

Inlwould havento dissagree with the hear shot to each their own but its pretty small target from stand in low light conditiins generaly. Things have be pretty near perfect for it. Its great u pull it off but i would sugfest it. The heart sits pretty low in a bear that has longer hairnthan a deer and can be really misleading and a sofball sized target with adrenaline pumping low light. Ect. Just all and all not goods odds to play with.

I agree it's a small target. Nice thing about spring bear in canada is the bears are there early and stick around a long time. I would suggest setting a stand at an exact yardage, so you can hold dead on a pin. And with archery in mind, you should be close, 20 yds is an easy shot for anyone that is practicing much.

I was in on about 20 recoveries this past spring, gun and bow, bears don't bleed much, but decent shots were always recovered within 100 yds, past that and it's trouble.

Mike