• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mower wont start

4baller

I have an older john deere model 111 riding lawn mower that wont start motor turns over but it acts like there is no spark but I am getting spark. I was just curious what else it could be or if the mower is shot any help is appreciated.

Change the spark plugs, put in new fuel and that is all I have ever done except I had a weed wacker that refused to start after about 20 years. Poor thing must have been tired. I put it on the curb with a "free" sign and it disappeared. Compression of your motor??? Can't help with that. Maybe contact your John Deere or small engine shop for their thoughts.

I just had a similar situation with a Murray rider this spring. Turned out to be the needle valve had gotten stuck closed due to crud and corrosion after many years. Finally got the carb off and cleaned up and it runs fine again.

My neighbor has a pretty good retirement gig going with repairing and selling lawn mowers people give to him because they are old and don't start. Most of the time its something simple. Try replacing the fuel filter and clean/replace the air filter. Could be something like carb a adjustment or points. Lots of UTUBE vids about mower maintenance.

On another note....If you haven't replaced a mower in many years you may want to go ahead and upgrade. I bought a new mower last year replacing a 25 year old Toro. It is amazing how many improvement have been made in mechanical performance, power and ease of use.