• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cylinder Rebuild Cost

UMC

I have a 2002 60 hp yamaha outboard that was bogging down at full throttle. Mechanic says that one of the (4) cylinders is shot and his ballpark estimate was 3 grand to rebuild it. Does this seem out of line?

Sounds high to rebuild just one cylinder. Or was he going to rebuild all cylinders?

I had the same problem with my first boat in an '84 Evinrude 90. Sold the boat to my neighbor and bought a new one. He paid a local company to take in the shot motor and install one that had recently been completely rebuilt. I want to say it ran between $2500 and $2900.

Hmm, well I would wait for others more knowledgeable than me to give their opinions.

But if he only rebuilds 1 cylinder, the next could go at any time leaving you stuck again. I would probably seek other quotes.

My motor had a scored top cylinder (1973 50hp evinrude), I was quoted $1200, and that was including over sizing the cylinder and putting in new pistons and rings. Ends up he had the same size motor just 1 year older that had a good power block, that he put on for $500 parts and labor. I know that there is a guy around hackensack I think that rebuilds the power heads, engine blocks, to the point where you just have to bolt them on. When I called him he didn't have one for my motor on hand but he was only going to charge me $150.00 plus shipping. He gets used motors in all the time.

After being quoted around 2400 by the local rip off artists here in Madison Lake, I took my 115 johnson for a complete rebuild to Gilomen Innovations. Google it. Very fast and good work, nice guy. All 4 pistons, 1000 out the door. Has been 3 years and no problems.

I would definitly shop around. First thing everyone has to remember is this is just a plain old two stroke engine no different than a snowmobile or chainsaw or whatever. Just because it sits on the back of a boat and has the word "marine" attached to it doesn't justify people tacking on the customary grand just to fix it. Any mechanic worth his salt should be able to tear down the engine diagnose it and repair it in half a day. If in fact the cylinder is shot and the whole short block needs to be replaced then yes I can see the $3k mark but if it just needs to be torn down and honed and oversize piston installed then gimmie a break. $1500 out the door max. If they are going to charge $80-100 an hour they better be gettin'er done not standing around bull Sh%$&tting and having smokes talking bout the good ol days on your dime. Good Luck!