• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

oil/gas ratio

bucketmouth64

I put 16 oz of amsoil in my tank and I needed to put in 12 gallons of gas, but I ended up 2 gallons short of gas so my mixture isn't 50:1. At times I'm having a harder time starting the motor so I was wondering with the mixture off would this be causing it? I believe I've used enough gas to add another 2 gallons of gas, would adding more gas solve my issue so my ratio is 50:1? My plugs were clean out of storage, I'll check them again to see if there's a lot of oil on them.

I think you may have some other problem with starting. That mixture should not be critical enough to prevent or make starting hard. And if plugs are clean that is another indicator that something else is amiss.

I checked my plugs and they're fouled with oil, they weren't prior to filling up so I'm going to buy couple new ones. Would adding couple gallons of gas get my ratio closer to 50:1 and not foul my plugs so much? I use amsoil saber oil.

See above post. a pint(16 oz) of oil in 10 gallons is 80 to 1. Did you mean a quart (32 oz)?

I don't think the difference between 40 to 1 and 50 to 1 should make the plugs foul. When breaking in two strokes, we used to run double oil for awhile or 25:1 and didn't have a problem. I fogged the heck out of motors and didn't have a problem.

I don't think the mix is the problem, unless somehow the oil all went to the bottom of the tank or something.

I checked my plugs and they're fouled with oil, they weren't prior to filling up so I'm going to buy couple new ones. Would adding couple gallons of gas get my ratio closer to 50:1 and not foul my plugs so much? I use amsoil saber oil.

A couple more gallons of gas would put you at 100:1. Like dellcecci said it takes 32 oz to 12 gallons to get 50:1