• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

E-collar life expectancy

Kyle

My 4 year old sport dog collar doesn't want to work anymore when I get more than 30ft away. Is this normal for an e-collar life expectancy? The collar has been used regularly but not every day for hours on end. More like minutes per day on average, with that number going up to a couple hours a week during the hunting season and summer.

There must be some sort of battery in it? My Tri-Tronics has been around at least ten years and all I can recall doing is putting a new battery in the transmitter.

Not real familiar with the devices but I'd check to see if you can do something like that OR it could be the collar receiver is just shot. Call the maker and talk with them. That's what I did when I had a small problem and those Tri Tronics guys are the best!!

I will do that. I'm thinking about just switching to the tri tronics Pro 70 that just came out. I hope to get another pup next year and I like it that it can handle more collars on one remote. Thanks

I had the same problem with my sport dog collar and put new batteries in the transmitter and receiver but it never worked right again. I ended up buying the dogtra 2300 NCP and so far it is an awesome cooler. The dog responds a lot better with the vibration mode then before with just the tone. I would just recommend save money by not getting batteries and buy a new collar.

I did not see it was a sport dog. I had the same issue and called them. I was unaware but they do have a limited lifetime warranty on the receiver and transmitter. They sent me a new receiver i think it was $60 dollars. I know not everyone like the sportdog collars but I have been satisfied and their customer service rep was very helpful. I had called to order a new collar and explained what was going on with my current collar and that was when she informed me I could just get a new receiver at a reduced rate rather buy a new collar. Its been a couple years and I use it every day(the dog wears it and it is turned on) and have not had any additional issues.

I have a Dogtra that is over 10 years old and a Tri-Tronics that is over 15 years old. I have only had to replace batteries on the Dogtra. On the Tri-tronics is sent it to the Collar clinic in MI and the reconditioned it and its good as new. At 4 years I bet it just needs new batteries.

Mwal

Don't be afraid to contact those folks if you have questions or troubles. They seem to be a great bunch and even helped me while I was on the road on one occasion. Nice people and a solid, dependable product.