• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First canoe search advice welcome from Paddlers!

I am looking for a good long lasting canoe for a family of 4. I want to fish out of it and bought a pop up camper so towing the boat wont work. Always wanted a paddling setup for the small waters and rivers.I want to run my 55 pound thrust minnkota on it some of the time. Looked at flat back, y back and regular standard canoe styles. I like the y back. I see way more standard ones used on the list. Also aluminum or other? I want durability and the ability to handle 1 person. thinking 17ft for the family to fit. Are the trolling motor mounts for side mount a good setup?

I wish I could help you out more, but I know next to nothing about using a trolling motor on a canoe.

A 17' or 18' aluminum boat will have a lot of room and plenty of durability. I paddle one that's 30 years old and, apart from some paint loss, looks more or less brand new. Durability won't be a problem.

I also paddle mine solo without any problems (in reasonable winds, and with proper trimming). The best thing to do is to sit in the bow (front) seat and face the stern (back seat), as it'll get you closer to the center of the canoe. To do this, you need to get a canoe that doesn't have a thwart directly behind the bow seat.

4 people in a canoe with fishing gear is asking a lot, even if two are kids.. heck, almost especially if two are kids, depending on age and behavior.

The problem with canoes is you have to specialize or make compromises.

The bigger you go, the harder it is to 1-man. I have a 13.5 footer, 2 seater that I can 1 man from the back, but it's not as nice as true 1 man canoe. I've solo'd 17 foot aluminums, and that gets tricky with wind. A 19 footer might be best for 4 people, but I wouldn't enjoy soloing one often. Also most 19 footers tend to be lighter materials.

As far as materials go, mine is some kind of plastic that is a bit cheaper than royalex. I like it because of cost and weight. Loading a 70lb aluminum canoe on my sedan wouldn't be something I could manage with ease. As long as I don't bang it on rocks, it should last for a very long time. Royalex is a bit pricier than whatever my canoe is, but a solid standard for canoes these days.

Aluminum is awesome for longevity. My grandparents' place on a lake has an aluminum canoe that is decades old, has obviously taken a beating from teens (myself?? never!) who weren't very nice to it at times, and performs amazingly well. It's heavy though, so loading on to a car is a 2 person job. Price tends to be average.

Kevlar canoes are expensive, extremely lightweight, but can sustain damage from rocks, branches, and the like. If you're portaging a 19 footer through the boundary waters, this is a great option. If you're going to be running rocky ground in shallow water down rivers in MN when the water is low, it's a bad option.

I know nothing about using motors with canoes. By the time you get there, I'd just say get a boat, but I see your dilemma with the camper.

I think you may be asking too much from one canoe. Finding a canoe that will comfortably fit a family of 4 and still be used solo is not an easy task. You will certainly be making huge sacrifices in one area or the other.

I haven't used a trolling motor on a canoe so can't help you there but if you want to solo paddle you'll likely want to flip around and paddle from the bow seat facing backwards like Stick in Mud mention. Because of this you won't want to go with the flat back. Sticking with the traditional back will give you better control and more options for use.

If durability is a major concern I'd look at either aluminum or one made from a 3 layer polyethylene. Aluminums are durable but can dent when banged into rocks. In my opinion the poly canoes are much more durable. When banged on rocks they just bounce right off without denting. The material is incredibly strong but also somewhat flexible allowing it to absorb more damage were as aluminum if rigid and will dent. The 3 layer poly will also not sink as the middle layer of the hull provides flotation even if the boat is totally filled with water. However, with durability comes added weight. You'll be looking at much heavier canoes (70+ pounds) which is not ideal if you want to solo meaning you'll be loading and unloading it by yourself.

Roylex is also very durable but probably less so than the poly option but its roughly 20% lighter than a poly canoe but you pay for that with a higher price tag.

Try before you buy. Rent or borrow a few different types before plunking down cash. You're asking a lot from one boat. Few good boats for four are going to be easy for a solo paddler. If you can handle the weight you might consider something like the old Grumman sport boat. Also, a lot of folks in Maine use motors on canoes for hunting/fishing/camping. Maybe if you Google Maine canoe you'll get some good info.

I have an Old Town Discovery 17.5 square back. If you are looking to use a motor, a square back is the way to go. I am thinking mine weighs in around 90 pounds. We had a light aluminum canoe to start with but it was way to tipsy. The Old Town is very stable.

Anyway, good luck in your hunt!

WS

Based on what you are looking for I think its a good choice to go with a larger flat back that can carry a few more people and then look for a solo later.

For stability and durability an old town would be a good choice. There also seems to be a lot of them on the C-list.

Well I have changed my thinking a bit on this . I think you guys are right to much to get out of 1 canoe... I searched a bit more and found golden hawk canoes. Sweet design and stability. Would just have to get another canoe down the road if we get into it more then the 4 of us could go. Anyway thinking golden hawk right now 12'9"