• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

opinions on a new .45 acp handgun

I'm looking to buy a new handgun, I want to get a 45 cal. I currently carry a Glock 19 everyday and love it but I want to give this one to my wife and get myself something else.

Curious what you guys carry and use... I know it comes down to feel in my hand. I love the look of a 1911 but also feel that something that pretty isnt practical for everyday use... maybe I'm wrong...?

thanks!

If I was going to get a 1911 style handgun I would only go with one from a custom gun maker. I think the added expense would be worth the trouble. Unless you routinely change guns that is.

Kimber 1911 will serve you well. Custom gun features in a off the shelf gun. You can get a nice matt finish that you need not worry about like a highly blued one. A 1911 may not be the best for concealed carry due to its size but for a 45 ACP it is the best for shooting. The size and weight make the cartridge manageable even for recoil sensitive shooters.

Another nice thing about the 1911's is if you reload or buy remanufactured ammo you can shoot cast lead bullets and save some on ammo. Glocks because of the rifling they use, suggest using jacketed bullets only to prevent leading and spikes in pressure. There are aftermarket barrels for Glocks that will let you shoot cast lead bullets.

I also have a Glock 36. Great carry gun, but not a ton of fun at the range (beats ya up a bit). If you already have a Glock and like the feel of it, the 36 is worth looking into (for carry) - if I wasn't going to carry it I would look at a 1911.