• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using a Runabout for Fishing?

lindy rig

I know everything boils down to how you plan to use the boat, what body of water, and even fishing techniques, but...

My father-in-law is wanting to buy a Runabout style boat. Specifically a Yamaha SX 240, twin engine I/O. He thinks it will be a mulit-purpose boat, including fishing.

I realize I am posting this on a fishing site, but looking for objective opinions. I guess I only see problems using this type of boat to fish.... but should I just relax and let him try it? Just bobber fish? Or will it be a real pain in the a** like I am thinking it will be?

Do not argue with a man who has his eye on a boat. Let him buy it. Wish him well. He will find out what the boat is best used for.

You CAN fish out of anything.....including a rubber ducky raft. I think he mainly wants to blow around the lake burning fuel and looking cool.

You are probably right Ufatz, but I guess I have a hard time doing that. He will not be using the boat on his own. He would strictly be using it with us "kids" and so I think we will all have to learn the hard way.

On the other hand it feels like I will be killing the fun if I say too much.

That is a jet boat as well, so another difference between most fishing boats. A friend has that boat for a family boat and they love it!

It's not for me, but will be a beautiful boat for cruising and skiing, etc.

Its big and roomy so will be easy to bobber fish from, or cast (not for many people at once though) but I'd probably forget about trolling or even sneaking from dock to dock casting for bass smile

But hey, it will be a nice boat for everything else!

edit - drifting for walleyes (or anything) would work fine in that boat. As long as the MIL doesn't mind worms or fish in the NEW boat - that would be the biggest issue I see wink Heck, it sure would be comfy!

Good input Box. Thank You.

We love trolling (including my wife) so that would be a bummer. But we could probably make due with some slip bobbers and drifting on occasion. I don't think it has a livewell though (didn't look like it from the pictures I saw and couldn't find anything on Yamaha's HSOforum about a livewell)

Funny thing... nobody is really into water sports either and the grandkids (my son and the nieces /nephews) are all young (0-3 yrs old) so it will be awhile before anyone is really skiing and tubing.

Oh well........ maybe I need to loosen up crazy

I have considered that.

But I'm the one with the lake access and I'm the one who will be helping him with it. So... like most things in life it's a little more complicated than it probably should be.

If you can figure out some way to put a trolling motor on it, you can use a big cooler with a pump and aerator as a live well or just kill what you are going to eat and ice them down, put on a nice depthfinder gps combo, and you will be golden.

I just looked at a picture, and a trolling motor would mount nicely to that step pad on the bow. Not clear where the batteries would go, but there must bi a storage compartment somewhere.

Not my cup of tea, but better than a red sports car and a new wife, as midlife crises go.

Okay. I checked out that boat and it is one weird watercraft. I guess you could just anchor it up and fish but even that is going to be difficult and awkward. I think you are right in trying to dissuade him from getting into that particular boat....it really is more or less a party boat. Personally I think it will be a pain to keep clean and ship-shape, has little usable space for it's length and bulk and really is good for just one thing-running around the lake burning $4.00 a gallon gas.

Do what you can to convince him there are a dozen other boats that will work better and if you can't perhaps the glow will go off the bloom after a season.]

Best of luck.

I know how much that boat costs, and it ain't cheap. My two cents, talk to him about it and why he likes THAT ONE. That may give the answer, but I would suggest a Triton Fishhunter or a Ranger Reatta with a big four stroke would be in about the same ballpark pricewise. And much more versatile, though maybe not cart around quite as many people, but pretty close.

Big thing, you have a FIL who wants to help out make some memories for the families, and that is awesome! smile

By the looks of it, you will be able to still fish (anchored) off the front or back but the sides will not be useful.

My first fishing boat was a run about. My biggest pet peave was the stupid windshild that slopped back into the passenger compartment. That windshield will keep you from being able to jig or troll off the sides. Or it will be a big hassle anyway.

I agree there would be a possibility of mounting a trolling motor on the front. Also, I have know idea what that rig would slow down to with main engine. If allowed/ wanted; a person may be able to mount a small mast on the side in front of the wind shield to which you could run a bigger planner board, with more than one line.

I was on a charter on lake Erie a few years back. Never imagined that a 42 ft. cabin cruiser was a fishing/ trolling boat, but it worked well.

I have a 24 foot runabout pleasure boat and it would frustrate me to no end trying to fish out of it. High walls, cannot position it with precision, can't hold onto a rod while steering with the side window in the way.

Those are nice, fun boats, but are just not made for fishing. A true fish-ski, deckboat, or pontoon would be a better option for him. If he wants more ski than fish, Glastron makes a good one.

Otherwise, for a fish-ski with more fish than ski, the Larson FX 2020DC or the 2015 FX 1850DC. Or Crestliner Super Hawk or Lund Crossover.