• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red Cardinals.

Paul

So what is the best way to get that bugger into "MY" yard. he has been circling my yard all weekend, hanging out next door and across the street, but I cant get him to come to me. What do they like in the feeder? or do they like peanuts on the ground?

They like seed mix, especially black oil sunflower seeds. They also eat a lot of bugs and insects. They seem to prefer low "shrubby" areas, as in yews, small pines, bushes. The more cover, the better, IMO. I have had them living in my giant Mugo Pine of mine for 5-6 years now. They seem to like the cover; as they appear to me to be quite "shy" and easily scared. The pine is right outside my garage door, when the radio goes on, I swear they love it, as they really start singing up a storm!!! Seem to prefer rock 'n roll!! laugh

This guy kept his eye on me while getting his seed fix...

11mgbhk.jpg

Dawn, Dusk and mid day is when I see them the most. They love the oils. House type feeder with a ledge they can land on. I stapled an extra 3/4 inch wood strip on mine to make it easier. They don't like the feeders with the pegs much. Lottsa seeds on the ground also will attract them. A female just flew in. smile Good luck !

Thanks for the tips. Ive been talking with my neighbors, and even though we are 1.5 blocks away from the Red River, we for some reason miss out on a lot of the more interesting species. I see plenty of sparrows and robins, and a few wood peckers, but other than that, no matter what we feed them and we got tons of cover, I don't seen anything real exciting my yard,

I winter in NE Texas. I have lots of them here. I use sunflower seed in the

feeders, but the Cardinals usually feed off the ground on what is kicked out of

the feeders by other birds or what I throw out there. As stated, low light periods are best.

They really like my platform feeder. Deer, squirrels, and rabbits do too. Not sure what to do about the deer. Rabbits only come in the dark, so I put out some seeds in the morning and they get the leftovers if there are any.