• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha Oil Problem

loadmaster

115hp, four stroke. 6 years old. Went to get the boat ready and while checking the oil before changing, I noticed that the oil level was way above the full mark. Also seemed the oil was runny and thin. No milky color on dipstick. I am thinking have a gasket leak somewhere but where. Boat was stored outdoors but completely covered. Any ideas. Wonder if I should leave oil at that level when I bring into shop. Changed oil before start of last season.>>>>later the load

Its hard to say, Sorta smells like fuel but then again smells like oil. Oil is not dirty. Thinking of taking into shop with the oil level as is and let them decide. Looked on other boat forums and it seems that this is a problem. No one ever gives a affirmative answer just alot of ideas. Do know if this would show up on a computer scan. Thanks

If you drain some out and let it stand, does it separate? Oil and water will eventually separate. Oil and gasoline, I don't think so.

Method 2, take dipstick well away from boat and motor. Hold flame from lighter or match under it. If it is gas it will light really easy. If it is water in the oil, not very easy.

Those are my ideas. Feel free to tell me I am crazy, if you don't think they would work.

Sounds like it "making oil". If that's the case, it's not completely burning the gas and it's "leaking" around the rings and into the crankcase. Google it. Lot's of info out there. Common problem on 4 strokes that are / weren't broke in correctly and / or are running "cool" (bad thermostat). Can be "fixed" / corrected. Common issue in Merc Verado's....I know, I just got one ; )

Went to Yamaha dealer today. Break in exact on. This is first year this has happened. Dealer sattid no gas in oil. He said oil looked dirty and he highly recommended a Shock Treament. He thinks that there is carbon build up. I googled and people said to do it but messy. Anybody done this and did it help. Also said not uncommon to have to much oil after sitting all winter. One thing he said Merc and Yamaha 4 strokes have this problem of making oil.>>>>later the load

Not unusual to have a problem of too much oil after sitting all winter????

This sounds to me like the classic mechanic's line "they all do that" which I think translates to "I have no clue, now go away".

That doesn't sound right to me. First question I had was if the motor was positioned level when checking the dipstick.

After that are you sure it fully drained? There is no way that 6 quarts turns into "7" quarts over the course of the winter. Complete talk IMO

Making oil is common sitting all winter? Hmmm

Motor position is key, as mentioned above.

Did they drain the oil? Keep in mind water will settle to the bottom and over a long enough time, the oil can appear normal higher up in the pan.

Its all a mystery to me. Motor was level. Do not think it came up a quart only about 11/2 above full. When I changed oil last, lowered and raised motor while draining and let it sit for and hour with drain plugged removed. That was at the beginning of last season. Replaced oil and filter, used motor,oil checked fine. So where did the extra come from? Like I said, Google 115hp outboards making oil, and you will see that this is not uncommon. The only problem is that there are as many causes and fixes as posters i.e. bad thermostat, bad rings, fuel pump bad and so on. Maybe get another opinion from the other dealer in town.

Just a follow up on my problem. Took it in and had the shock treatment done. I watched while they did it and I was surprised at the amount of junk that came out. I am talking about some nasty looking carbon build up. With it being that dirty, and maybe not getting all the oil out, it could have drained all winter caused my above full mark to show up. Rep also told me to make sure I used the Yamaha ring lube to prevent further build so I not encounter this problem. He put alot of blame on the crappy gas

Good advice on the Ring Free....I'd still watch your oil level until I knew it wasn't making oil....if that much crud came out during shock treatment, that suggests a lot of low RPM /trolling hours....if motor not broke in well (rings not seated well) it easily could have been allowing uhh unburned gas get into crank case, as well as building carbon...incorrectly broken in motor, low RPM hours and untreated gas are a recipe for issues....good luck