• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help - I've been hacked!

I foolishly clicked on a very official looking dialogue box from (Microsoft) about a fix for a security problem. Dumb! My computer shut off, restarted and I couldn't get into the internet. Boxes kept coming up to download an antivirus program. Of course I was supposed to give them my credit card # (which I didn't). I restored my computer to about a week ago and the boxes went away and I could then access the internet. But...I am unable to access my Microsoft word starter 2010 and any documents. I still have access to my photo's. No account #'s but had passwords to amazon, etc. written down. I've changed them and changed my credit card # just in case. How do I get my Microsoft word back and documents if possible. Thanks....

Jim....It worked. My documents returned as well as the Microsoft program itself. Hope those viruses don't come back after I restored my computer to an earlier time. I did that once before and it seemed to work ok. Is this a permanent fix and okay to do? I have a free Avira program. When I open it up it says "Your computer is not sescure" - a service is not working correctly. Do you think I should go with a paid upgrade? Thanks again!

I've had the exact thing fool me once! To get all of it off a boot disc had to be created to look for malware and wipe it off the disc.Look up that>>very official looking dialogue box from (Microsoft)<< Google it then how to remove.There is a specific download of a boot disc you need to run off the CD/DVD device. a stand along program.Until you use one of those stand alone boot discs it will keep comming back/It was a witch for me!!I got it tho.

Jim....It worked. My documents returned as well as the Microsoft program itself. Hope those viruses don't come back after I restored my computer to an earlier time. I did that once before and it seemed to work ok. Is this a permanent fix and okay to do? I have a free Avira program. When I open it up it says "Your computer is not sescure" - a service is not working correctly. Do you think I should go with a paid upgrade? Thanks again!

First thing I'd do is delete any restore points that dated on or after the date you clicked on that fake warning.

Then, as others have suggested, do some cleanup activity. MajorGeeks malware forum is a good one for providing tool recommendations and logical, methodical cleaning process for non-experts.

On the other hand, if you save your important files to a separate disk and have all the software for your computer, sometimes its easier, and sometimes faster too, just to wipe your system and reload from scratch.

Then, as others have suggested, do some cleanup activity. MajorGeeks malware forum is a good one for providing tool recommendations and logical, methodical cleaning process for non-experts.

I have used there methods and software with success on more than one computer!!!!