• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS Puck Removal Question

scaup

I recently removed an older Lowrance unit from my boat and the antenna/puck. I now have about 1" - 1 1/8" hole where the wires ran from the gps unit to the puck. I have a fiberglass boat and am looking for some suggestions as to a plug/grommet or whatever that I can put in that hole as the new unit does not need an external antenna. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scaup

Keep the Lowrance puck there...You or next boat owner may use i(hole) again in future if they use different units or you get new unit(s) with external puck...The puck looks like it belongs there and will keep water out of hole better than a grommet of sorts...Any plug, besides bringing it in to a professional fiberglass repair outfit will look out of place....KISS.

Leaving the puck there probably would have been the thing to do. Unfortunately that is not an option as I already sold it to someone. So any suggestions for plan B?

Thanks,

Scaup

Go to a plumbing supply house and get either a stainless steel or white plastic grommet that they use to cover unused faucet holes in kitchen sinks. Use silicone to glue it in place. They have different sizes, hopefully one would work for you.

I'd ask around....find one that's burned out...I might even buy one...you'll spend more getting it to look decent than buying replacement...no-one wants to buy / fix an unsightly patch job/ hole...I'd find a used / burned out puck ideally and seriously contemplate a new one...and rationalize price with future sale of boat...

Looks pretty straight forward to repair the hole with new fiberglass. Search on "fiberglass boat hole plug" and a number of solutions including youtube videos will come up.

Wow!...looks like a fun project....send pics of finished product....Good luck!

Thanks for all the feedback. If the hole were not also drilled through the rubberized mat/pad I probably would have gone with a patch of some sort. At this point I will pull off the old mat and put a new one down. Seems like the best way to go.

Thanks again for all the feedback

I put a request and found a guy that'll ship a Lowrance puck that no longer works to me for $10...cheapest way, looks natural, and can be used in future.

[Please Read Forum Policy Before Posting Again, Thank You]

I put a request on W.C. and found a guy that'll ship a Lowrance puck that no longer works to me for $10...cheapest way, looks natural, and can be used in future...I could get you in touch with him if interested..member site they are very reputable and trustworthy