• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tikka t3 lite .243

well, here's my deal, I have a tikka t3 lite in a .243 stainless. This gun I ventured into reloading with... and not to lond after I purchased it... I have never seen "awesome" results, but have a handload that has worked OK... now my trouble is I cannot find the powder anywhere to make more loads...

I have tried a few different types of factory loads and non have been decent... IMO... I had about a 3 inch group off a table... at 100...

I am afraid in my rookie stages of reloading I may have heated this barrel up to much... Are there any thoughts on this... I do not recall for sure, but I am sure I sent 15 or more rounds through it in short amount of time when I first started... what are the chances I warmed it up to much?

My buddy has the same rifle in a .223 and can hit a staple at 100 with about any ammo you put in it... and what I have known of these rifles otherwise is that they are very accurate...

Should I be looking to trade this one off... Do I assume its a bad barrel and keep the .243 caliber, it is primarily a yote gun, and I have been thinking hard about going to a 22-250... but I have a ton of .243 brass and bullets...

Also, if I stay with a .243 what are ones thoughts on a browning x bolt in this caliber? I would have a hard time trading in my tikka for an identical gun... however if I went to a different caliber I wouldn't mind getting another tikka, love how the gun works..

Don't take this the wrong way since I have no idea how well you normally shoot or have shot in the past but your first test to see if it truly is the gun or the loads is have your friend shoot it and see his groups with it. Sometimes the gun doesn't fit. 3 inch groups at 100 should be no problem with that gun with virtually any ammo.

I can't speak to over heating a barrel and just how bad it messes up your groups but I have run too many rounds through and fouled a barrel enough that I had to go the process of de-fouling to bring it back. Just another idea to consider.

Not likely you harmed that barrel and sounds to me like the problem is something that can be solved so you can hang onto that nice piece. Is everything tight? Check how the barrel is settled in the stock. Have your pal shoot the rifle off a good solid rest.

Those are dandy rifles and you should easily shoot a couple inches at 100 yards.

And be precise in your handloading.

realoading can be an interesting and at times frustrating experience. what is the overall cartridge length that you are using? how far off of the lands are you when you make your loads? you don't want them touching the lands, but in some guns, the closer the better....my AR is kind of fussy as to it's length, while my buddies (same make model) has a greater tollerance for oal....

Have your written or called Tikka? My friend had a Browning and could not get a group with it. He wrote Browning and they told him to send it in. A few weeks later he got a letter back stating the gun did not meet accuracy standards and he was allowed to pick a new Browning or Winchester up to $750 in value. Every once in a while a "bad apple" pops up.

I have the exact same rifle with a nikon prostaff 5 2.5x10 scope. With any new gun I always try to get a couple boxes of ammo to shoot first before I start reloading. I picked up a cheap box of federal 100gr sp(blue box) and 1 box of the hornady 100gr in the whitetail box(not sure which bullet it is)

I started with the Federal to get close at 25 then moved to 100yrds shot 3 rnds to get a zero. Let the barrel cool for a bit, then shot a 3 shot group and was inmpressed. With the cheap federal if I do my part it will hold a 1.5 to 1 inch group. Then when I tried the Hornady loads I was all over the place. I would shoot 3 and have a 3in group try again same thing. Then go back to the federal and have a small group. So your problem could be an ammo issue.

I have since made some loads with 55gr nosler balistic tips and h4895 and they work great. As well as 70gr nosler balistic tips and Varget and they are accurate. Hope that helps.

Picks, I cannot remember exactly what all the specs are off the top of my head, as I had plenty hand loads on hand until this winter when I finally got out to shoot.... and I have been very very very anal on the consistency of the loads....i measure every load out to the exact amount... and check OAL on every load... out of a lead sled my handloads will shoot pretty consistant... but 1-1/2 inch group... and i have not found a factory combination that shoots any better at all... by my reading knowledge of this rifle is it really should be a tack driver out of the box... i'm not looking to shoot ants... so I'm not terribly fussy, just want to know the bullet is going where I put it...

I can take my 17. hmr out and drive tacks all day at 100... so I feel i can shoot... however some days this rifle gets me wondering...

Okay. Sounds like you really have your stuff together with this rifle and the suggestion that you contact the maker might be absolutely correct. Seems like you are doing your part but rifle is not.

Try shooting without the lead sled. I have one and used it alot. Then one day I forgot it at home and using the same rifle and loads with just sand bags on the front and a bag under the stock in the rear I was able to shoot much better groups. I haven't used the lead sled since.

caj, are you shooting a tikka 243 with those 55gr noslers? I had loaded these before, I cannot remember what powder i used however, I do think i tried 4895... and then went to the 58 gr v max with h414... my thing is, I have about 600 v max bullets from when I bought my press... soooooo i have a bunch of them to use up..... just wish i could find some 414

I have tried both the winchesters with the 55gr nosler... they shoot OK, but usually get a zinger in each 3 shot group... however i think the cold barrel shot is typically on...

I also just picked up 58gr superformance.... I have tried reloads with the superformance powder, and 414 still won out...

I have also tried a couple remmy loads... I think a 100 grain and a 75?grain... not sure I'd have to look at those again... and the reloads once again out shot them...

I do think this gun is very fussy about having a cold barrel... it seems I can pop two almost touching, and the third is a zinger... so, maybe I just need to shoot, and let it sit 5 and shoot...

Love the gun, wish I could find my powder... any idea what the big C has for stock? Scheels in Kato has very limited supply, and alhmans was out of 414 too...

was kinda hoping to find a good yote round off the shelf so I didn't have to worry bout loading... Trying to get out and hunt some while I have time right now...

Thanks for the input... FYI, I will still buy a 22-250 someday... just not as soon if I am going to hang on to the .243...