• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

03 F7 questions

BoxMN

Hey guys, Leech gave me some info, but thought I would ask a bit more about the 03 F7. I have read some reviews and user info on forums, but most was some older info. Mian thing I took away was,

it's fast for a 700, fastest year for F7's

can rattle apart

its light

has recalls and updates that should be done

good all around sled for trails

some say it was the most fun sled they ever had

Anybody know how much the updates might cost IF they were not done? Most looked to be beefing up the chassis, and the steering recall seems like free at AC dealer, if not done.

Anybody have any "stay the heck away" stories, or "this is awesome sled" or anything else? I have opportunity to get one, and it seems like it would fit me well. I haven't looked at it yet. When I do, anything I should specifically look at? It has 5000 miles, not sure if family ridden or go-fast ridden, but given the style sled maybe go-fast... I would be using it on MN trails, some lake travel, and I am fat wink

Thanks for any info.

As far as recalls/updates on all the sleds we've had (keep in mind they've all been ski doos) have been covered by bombardier. I am sure it works similarly, and I would also hope that they were already preformed on a 2003 sled. If not, I would stray away just for the fact that they've been ridden for 10 years and the owner neglected to update them (showing negligence in maintenance)

That's just my 2 cents.

Talked to a buddy of mine that had one, he said check the bulk head closely for cracks especially behind the primary clutch, by the sway bar tube. Also he said the seat foam was pretty soft and he bottomed out the seat foam before the suspension. That may be an issue if you are heavier. Just some things to look for......not sure if they are real common or not.

Thanks guys. I searched and found pics of the crack locations, so will look for that. Sounds like it happens on beat sleds or sled that hit something. Most people did not get the update (bracket that helps support that area Mac talked about) unless it was cracked already. Some have welded it with support. I will check that.

Will also check the seat and take into price consideration, of maybe wanting to get aftermarket or 04-06 seat.

I asked him about the recalls and updates, as his friend was the original owner I think, will see. I guess looking at the sled will tell me a lot about it. Thanks for the info.

My son has an F7 but I think his is newer (maybe '06). He just had to replace the diamond drive system to the tune of $1000.

The sled had 3K miles on it and grenaded the planetary gears and the case.

Honestly, I'd run away from this one and find something different.

My neighbor bought same sled and the primary clutch broke right off on the crank and this was with only 1,500 miles on sled this was an expensive fix. I've heard to many issues then good and they have a narrow track (13") that I wouldn't prefer.

That's my .02

MR

Quote:
they have a narrow track (13")

Forget about that, I did ride my buddies.... but that was several years ago. It was fast but not all that good when you hit any slush, cut through too easy and didn't want to stay on top.

Thanks guys, this is the cheaper sled of a package deal. So I just want to know kinda "how much cheaper" or how much $$ to fix it up if it is cracked bulkhead, or if it might be a deal breaker. Hopefully it has updates, or at least not cracked, then all is good. If not it might be my first "project sled" wink Not worried about the slush or deep snow much, as the other will take care of that wink

Thanks again for the good advice I keep getting here!

BoxMN, I've owned a '03 F7 for 10 yrs...actually just put it up for sale. As others have stated and sounds like you have researched, it's a great trail sled. You can go off trail, but takes more rider influence to keep it going, especially if the snow is deeper.

As other suggested, check the bulkhead for cracking & check the rear rails for cracking. Never an issue with mine, but those that were ridden HARD, that's where they failed. Ask if the drive shaft bearings have been replaced, as that was a common issue. Steering recall is an easy fix, if not done.

All in all it's a great sled if taken care of and ridden the way it was designed to be ridden. If it ends up being a no go for you, let me know, as mine is for sale and it's in GREAT shape. wink

There are lots of things to make it a better riding sled, but too much to list here. If you have any other questions, just ask and I'd be happy to help you out.

My son has an F7 but I think his is newer (maybe '06). He just had to replace the diamond drive system to the tune of $1000.

The sled had 3K miles on it and grenaded the planetary gears and the case.

Honestly, I'd run away from this one and find something different.

The 03 does not have diamond drive. Just regular chain and gears.

The 03 F7's were rocket ships but are not the best trail sleds. They have the 13.5" wide track and they tend to not handle the best. A good set of aftermarket skis up front and it would make a huge difference.

Regarding the seat, the 04-06 seat was a nice upgrade. For one it sits a bit higher too, besides just better foam.

I have owned (2) 2003 F5 Sno Pro's since 2004. I still have one. Although, not the F7 but same chassis. I love these sleds and they are a blast to ride. I concur CaptainMusky's post; especially the skis on groomed trails. Factory skis like to track and it gets annoying at slower speeds.

BoxMN- is this a Sno Pro model? Sno Pros had Fox shocks and much stiffer suspension for big guys. It's stiff for us little guys. smile

Thanks guys. This is the green one, not sure on sno pro, haven't seen it yet. I guess I am second in line, and the whole package deal (two sleds, trailer, helmets, covers, etc.) seems pretty good but not full blown absolutely great deal. I will see what happens. I did learn a lot and the F7 seems like it would be a real fun sled to have, especially for how I ride them - not hard or jumping but some fast trail riding with the guys, and leisurely drives with the Mrs. or kids.

The owner is not sure about the recall or updates, but says it drives great.

Thanks all for your help, and I will post how it ends up. Problem is, now the Mrs. is now (that snow is melting, haha!) pushing me to get a new dock for cabin, and honestly that would be better $$ spent and get used for 7 months a year for years and years to come (spendy dock, as I want the hinged style that you remove/put in with a beer in one hand and your other on the winch, haha! We have a steep hill...)

Anyway, thanks much for info! smile

Box dont let the wife talk you into doing anything reasonable!!! :-)

Haha! I know! I am not sure what I am doing... doh... smile I am usually the voice of reason, but when cylinders are involved I get blinded, ha! Especially after a fun sledding year! Oh well... Maybe I will do the real smart thing and NOT get ANYTHING... that is looking pretty good too at this point.