• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

upgrading body

I have found that if I type in one model VS another model on google it goes to a site that give features and benefits of each camera. pretty neat info to check out. 30D vs 50D for instance. or one brand vs another brand. Have fun.

As already stated, the glass will make a difference in image quality. I switched from the 30D to the 60D two years ago. I suppose the real difference for me is the higher ISO that is available. The live veiw comes in handy but I don't use it very often. I never use the video.

Higher ISO will be the biggest thing,if theres nothing wrong with your camera and depending what you have for glass I would invest in the best glass you can afford befor upgrading the camera, I have a 30D and 50D and really don't see any difference in image quality, have had photo's published from both..

When I was last in Alaska, it was during the film days and my lens was a 300mm with a 2X TC. I wouldn't have been happy with anything less. Then again, your preferred subject matter may be different than what mine was. You can certainly keep busy shooting mountain scapes with the wide angle.

If you don't want to drop the $$$$ on a longer piece of decent glass, you could do some research and see how that Sigma performs with a 1.4X or 2X TC.

Got room in your carry on for me? smile The Last Frontier is a place you'll never forget. Enjoy.

They're not very thick and hand holding a 2X with your 70-200 should be easy. I used a 1.4X with a 100-400 and it was doable. They attach just like a regular lens, but if I was in Alaska I'd probably keep the lenses attached and on the camera at all times. When you do come across wildlife, you'll need the reach and they usually don't sit and wait for you to get ready to take their picture. If you come across a landscape shot you want, the scene will wait for you to switch lenses.

What's on your itinerary? Denali? Katmai? Seward?

Yes, you will lose 1 stop with the 1.4X and 2 stops with the 2X, but with that lens, you'll still have a decent maximum aperture. The majority of my shots are at f8 and even with the 2X you'll be shooting at a maximum of f5.6.

I now have the 70-200/4 and it focuses very fast with the 1.4X. No complaint there. The combo is just as fast as my 100-400 alone was.

As far as loss of quality, it would probably be very miniscule if even noticeable. You should be the judge. Order one from a reputable company with a 30 day return policy, run it thru a few test shots and compare them with and without. If you don't like the difference, you're only out the return shipping. When I did some tests with the 100-400 and 1.4X, I was very satisfied with the results. It's always best to find things out for yourself.

Thanks much for the response.

I guess I can leave it on and switch to the wide angle for landscape. Or if time allows take off the adapter for closer shots.

Will be headed to anchorage for a wedding, from there a few days driving to homer and back. Then back to anchorage, and then six days around sitka for fishing and hiking and whatever!!

On your way south out of Anchorage towards homer, along Hwy. 1 (Seward Hwy.), keep your eyes peeled to the left and you're bound to see Dall Sheep on the cliffs. There are pull over places along the Hwy. so you'll have plenty of opportunities for photos. The pull over places are to keep the traffic flowing. Otherwise, the tourists slow everyone down. May should be a good time with much smaller crowds. I've always gone in July, the month when most people go. If I was to go again, I'd probably pick May. Wild flowers should be in abundance.

Have a great time and be sure to share photos when you get back.