• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lubricating Topper Locks?

Hey gang,

My truck topper is getting very difficult to lock. I don't know if its hardware related or just a lack of lubrication. I see I can buy Master Lock lubricant or 3M silicone lubricant. Any advice? Give one of those a try?

Thanks

I tried to take them apart full of road salt sprayed WD 40 into them but ended up throwing them away . I replaced them with new ones and bought little rubbers for handles so salt won't get int0 the key slots. never had problem since then.You can get the locks and rubber covers at Topper shops .

Every 6 months or so I put the wd40 straw down into the lock and blast the heck out of it then slide the key in and out a few times. Never a problem in almost 10 years.

I did find a spray lubricant made specifically for locks that has graphite in it. It seems to work really well and a little bit longer that wd40. The only problem was for a month or so every time you removed the key graphite would come out on it and stain your clothes. And it was just another can to keep track of and hold onto, so I switched back to wd40 when I lost the can.

I couldn't get the lock to work with a key for the trunk of my car. I didn't want to use a liquid spray so I bought a small tube of graphite that I could put into the lock and give it a little "puff". It took a little manipulating (and luckily I didn't break off the key)but now it works great. I give it a shot of graphite about twice a year to keep it working.

I have a locksmith as a customer and asked him what to use. He said wd-40 is not a lubricant and may clean it out. He said WD stands for water displacement. He only uses JB 80 for applications like you described it a long lasting penetrating oil. He did warn that it has a strong order and will stain but he said it will get some locks that have been exposed to salt spray and ice on trailers and topper working again. He said to spray it fall and spring. And yes to getting the rubber boots to cover the handle and lock. HE laughed and said if you do as he described he loses money as the lock will function for as long as you own it and won't have to call him to replace broken key or replace internal workings.

Mwal

WD-40 to clean it out and than 3-1 oil once a month and put key in lock and spin it around to displace the lube into the cylinder. #1 thing is to use it often so you know when it needs more attention the topper locks are very basic and build up with dirt and road salt that doesn't allow the key to bottom out in the lock most times so you need to maybe hit it with a hammer to seat it completely. I don't recommend graphite as it just fills the cylinder up like the salt and dirt.

I tell all my customers to do the 3-1 oil once and month and I bet less than half ever do it and have problem down the road